Gigabyte Laptop hinge repair woes (+ rant)

mr_norris

Expert Member
Hi everyone,

I am in a pickle, and I'm hoping someone can help.

I have a Gigabyte P37x V5 laptop. The hinges are pretty screwed. The mounts that keep the hinges attached to the laptop have disintegrated. The construction is a plastic mount, which contains the threaded brass fitting. The screws of course screw into those. The flaw in this design is that the mounts themselves are plastic. With this laptop being used for everything from gaming, to work (sometimes), to studying, and everything in between, it has taken its toll on them. So every mount is broken. I am left with a laptop where the screen and everything else are borderline two separate pieces, and virtually no structural integrity. This puppy is stuck open and on my desk until I can get this sorted :(

My plan was to source the upper casing (the part which houses the keyboard, and what the motherboard attaches to.) from Ebay, or Gigabyte themselves. Ebay was a dud, Gigbyte denied me royally - they refuse to send anything without Rectron being involved. I was referred to Rectron. Rectron are useless and of course the way I bought this laptop through Gigabye via Rectron will confuse them to no end. My last resort is taking some time off to visit Rectron, and see if they can order the part for me. Right now that idea is pretty much the only thing I can think of doing, as well as my last resort.

So my question is, does anyone know anyone who could help me source the part? Back in the day, a Gigabyte rep used to roam this forum. She's disappeared. I am desperate, and willing to throw money at the problem. But absolutely no one will sell the part to me. I am not really keen on drilling through the case to mount the hinge again. I have tried epoxy which was an absolute fail. First prize to me would be a replacement part, then I could just do a transplant and it'll be good as new.

I would appreciate any advice or leads to people who could source the part.

This ends my plea. And now onto some bitching. I will never in my life buy another Gigabyte laptop again. I am pretty intimate with this laptop now, and the construction quality is poor. I got this thing at a relative bargain at the time, but these things were going for 40k retail for other poor suckers - it is disgusting. Support is non-existent, and you're trapped with the god-awful "service" of Rectron. The wallies post crap like this and then completely ignore you no matter how you try contact them. I accept that I'm going to pay quite a bit of school fees because of this, I just hope that others who are looking for a laptop see this and avoid them like the plague.

Anyway, if you made it this far, thank you for reading!

Wasabee!

Executive Member
I've had surprisingly service from their Cape Town branch. Also ask an etailer like Rebeltech to help you out as they will have a better relationship with Rectron.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I had a recent Gigabyte repair done by Rectron's service centre in Cape Town. They did really good work, though the parts took 4 weeks to arrive their parts quote came in cheaper than my other sources. For after warranty service I will recommend them.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Hi everyone,

I am in a pickle, and I'm hoping someone can help.

I have a Gigabyte P37x V5 laptop. The hinges are pretty screwed. The mounts that keep the hinges attached to the laptop have disintegrated. The construction is a plastic mount, which contains the threaded brass fitting. The screws of course screw into those. The flaw in this design is that the mounts themselves are plastic. With this laptop being used for everything from gaming, to work (sometimes), to studying, and everything in between, it has taken its toll on them. So every mount is broken. I am left with a laptop where the screen and everything else are borderline two separate pieces, and virtually no structural integrity. This puppy is stuck open and on my desk until I can get this sorted :(

My plan was to source the upper casing (the part which houses the keyboard, and what the motherboard attaches to.) from Ebay, or Gigabyte themselves. Ebay was a dud, Gigbyte denied me royally - they refuse to send anything without Rectron being involved. I was referred to Rectron. Rectron are useless and of course the way I bought this laptop through Gigabye via Rectron will confuse them to no end. My last resort is taking some time off to visit Rectron, and see if they can order the part for me. Right now that idea is pretty much the only thing I can think of doing, as well as my last resort.

So my question is, does anyone know anyone who could help me source the part? Back in the day, a Gigabyte rep used to roam this forum. She's disappeared. I am desperate, and willing to throw money at the problem. But absolutely no one will sell the part to me. I am not really keen on drilling through the case to mount the hinge again. I have tried epoxy which was an absolute fail. First prize to me would be a replacement part, then I could just do a transplant and it'll be good as new.

I would appreciate any advice or leads to people who could source the part.

This ends my plea. And now onto some bitching. I will never in my life buy another Gigabyte laptop again. I am pretty intimate with this laptop now, and the construction quality is poor. I got this thing at a relative bargain at the time, but these things were going for 40k retail for other poor suckers - it is disgusting. Support is non-existent, and you're trapped with the god-awful "service" of Rectron. The wallies post crap like this and then completely ignore you no matter how you try contact them. I accept that I'm going to pay quite a bit of school fees because of this, I just hope that others who are looking for a laptop see this and avoid them like the plague.

Anyway, if you made it this far, thank you for reading!

Have you tried these guys:

http://www.laptopaccessories.co.za/

mr_norris

Expert Member
I've had surprisingly service from their Cape Town branch. Also ask an etailer like Rebeltech to help you out as they will have a better relationship with Rectron.
I had a recent Gigabyte repair done by Rectron's service centre in Cape Town. They did really good work, though the parts took 4 weeks to arrive their parts quote came in cheaper than my other sources. For after warranty service I will recommend them.

That gives me some hope. Time will tell how things work out with them though. I'm stuck with the Durban branch :/

mr_norris

Expert Member
I thought I'd just update this in case some poor soul has the same struggle as me.

In the end, I drove to Rectron with my laptop (semi-assembled) so I could show them what I needed and they ordered the part for me. It was just over a grand for the replacement. A bit steep for what you are getting if you ask me, but given that this laptop is my main PC, I bit the bullet. It arrived last Friday, so took a few weeks. I picked it up on Monday.

Their online service is probably the worst I have ever come across, but the people I dealt with at the Durban branch were pretty helpful and friendly. So if anyone wants help with them, it's best to visit them in person. I expected to have trouble with them because I lack an account with them, but I was pleasantly surprised.

A handy tip - pay them to fix it. If you have big hands, and you're clumsy AF, the delicate operation of completely stripping a laptop and rebuilding it in a different casing is not for you! It also takes hours and hours. At least, it took me a whole evening.

Another thing I learned on my laptop fixing journey is that the trackpad PCB is glued underneath the plastic cover. The new palmrest didn't come with a replacement. So I had to pretty much chisel off the PCB, bend it back straight again, and then stick it on the new one. How this thing still works is nothing short of a miracle. I also learned that the trackpad cover is just a sticker, but the sticker never made it out of the transplant in a usable state - RIP. I'm still trying to figure out what I can use in place of the old one :/

What a journey.

Wasabee!

Executive Member
This is more of a joke for most by the way your experience of assembly and disassembly was but I think but hopefully someone will find it useful. It's like you just need to add how you used cable ties and a paint brush to finish the repair and it was good as new. :p

mr_norris

Expert Member
A depressing update to my laptop saga.

Things have been going pretty good through these last few months, but I noticed opening and closing my laptop has become quite challenging lately.

So tonight, I flipped her over and opened her up. True as Bob, the screw mounts have given in.

Do I know what to do about this? No.

Will I avoid Gigabyte Laptops in future? Hell !@#$ING YES.