Girlfriend killer who was out on parole arrested again for allegedly murdering new partner

Big Rat

I can only assume that the sentence was 20 - 25 years (life?) and after 8 years he received parole. I know it is not what they say here, but it sound logically a bit better than 8 years sentences, being on parole now. his full sentence would have been completed in 2017 already, so no more parole, just a free man.

JohnMao

Executive Member
When was he sentenced? If within 2 years of committing the crime, then surely his prison term has been completed? How on earth was he sentenced to 8 years for murder?
Because in this crap hole of a country, you only server something like 25% of your sentence. 2 years is about on-par then and 8 years for murder is attrocious. Hell, not even life means life.

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
Because in this crap hole of a country, you only server something like 25% of your sentence. 2 years is about on-par then and 8 years for murder is attrocious. Hell, not even life means life.
As little as 1/6th for certain low-risk-of-reoffending crimes (as determined by the judge) (i.e. recall Oscar's original manslaughter sentence, eligible for parole after 10 months of 5 year sentence).
25% if the sentence is 2 years or less.
50% if the sentence is longer than 2 years.
25 years (and not easy to get paroled - requires ministerial approval) if the sentence is Life.
Notwithstanding medical parole, pardons, remissions, pandemics, amnesties, sentence reductions etc.

Blackhand

Our justice system is a joke.
Your right of course, but it's not just here that it's broken.

Sentencing for violent crime is generally lenient (relative to the crime), especially when the statistics have long shown that perpetrators of violent crime are very likely to commit more violent crime, and those are just the ones that get caught a second time.

It's a failure to deliver justice to the public and the directly impacted, a failure to act as a deterrent and an absolute failure to protect the public from known violent criminals. Continually failing in these areas leads to vigilantism and revenge justice (anarchy).