Give the Kindle a chance

Derrick

ლ(ಠ_ಠ )ლ
I see the local reaction to the global launch of the Amazon Kindle book reading device for digital books is not too hot. Judging by the initial reaction, the kindle could be in for an uphill battle if the price is not right. Nobody wants to rain on Amazon’s parade, last of all me, so I am not going to be too negative. In fact, I think Amazon is trail blazing by taking a path no company in all honesty has taken. This is a mobile device that can present digital text for comfortable reading. We have been dreaming of this thing and its successors (still to be designed and produced) since Star Trek started decades ago!

This might not be the device to cut the cheese, but at least we have the cheese on the table now and opening it up to a global audience is a surefire way of getting it trimmed downand cut right to where it needs to be for people to get comfortable with it. I am not at all saying it isn’t ready, it might very well be perfect! Ffolks who keep on harping about the allure of paperback novels and the feel of paper on their fingertips are simply wrong in my opinion. There is no reason I can think of why we cannot jump to the next level in technology and also bring down the cost of getting books to market. In fact it will zero out the cost of releasing books to a large degree due to the avoidance of printing. That is great news!

I for one think we should give the Kindle a chance.