Giving Google the middle finger

Daruk

Honorary Master
Thanks Lew Skannen. Missing the point as usual...
I think we're all missing it. I guess perhaps we're asking for a bit of clarity. How exactly do you leave Google out... and why Google over others?

newby_investor

Expert Member
Chromium is a Google maintained product. AFAIK it's not a fork.
Chromium is maintained by Google yes, but it doesn't have the proprietary bits that Google-branded Chrome does. Devs of other browsers like Brave basically just use the rendering engine and then build their own functionality on top of that.

It would be like buying a 1400 bakkie from a guy in the West of Pretoria. Sure, Nissan made the original thing once upon a time, but it's certainly no longer a Nissan product...

Daruk

Honorary Master
Chromium is maintained by Google yes, but it doesn't have the proprietary bits that Google-branded Chrome does. Devs of other browsers like Brave basically just use the rendering engine and then build their own functionality on top of that.

It would be like buying a 1400 bakkie from a guy in the West of Pretoria. Sure, Nissan made the original thing once upon a time, but it's certainly no longer a Nissan product...
Doesn't matter, Chromium and Chromium offshoots still phone home to Google and they know your whereabouts among other tracking info.

Why else would ungoogled chromium be a project on its own?

Doesn't matter what browser you use. You still have a bit of work ahead to properly block google. I'd start at the router and go domain level and replicate that in the browser or at local DNS level with a custom service (or local relay). It's the only way. Especially if you're mobile.

On top of that, you'd need to manually configure DNS for third party WiFi connections.

Last edited:

Daruk

Honorary Master
They whitelist a ton of domains including Facebook.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
They whitelist a ton of domains including Facebook.

Yes they're not blocking 1st party ads but they're going to add it as an option.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Doesn't matter, Chromium and Chromium offshoots still phone home to Google and they know your whereabouts among other tracking info.

Why else would ungoogled chromium be a project on its own?

Doesn't matter what browser you use. You still have a bit of work ahead to properly block google. I'd start at the router and go domain level and replicate that in the browser or at local DNS level with a custom service (or local relay). It's the only way. Especially if you're mobile.

On top of that, you'd need to manually configure DNS for third party WiFi connections.
Chromium AFAIK doesn't phone home. You can sign in using your Google account but if you don't, it didn't. As far as I'm aware anyway, if someone can point me to the source code I'd like to see it.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Chromium AFAIK doesn't phone home. You can sign in using your Google account but if you don't, it didn't. As far as I'm aware anyway, if someone can point me to the source code I'd like to see it.
Chromium phones home the second you start it. It doesn't need you to be logged in to track you. Among other things it checks for updates to plugins.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Enabled webrender in Firefox. Will give it a test and see if it improves things for me. So far so good.

1. Open Mozilla Firefox and type about:config in the addressbar and press Enter. It'll show you a warning message, click on "I accept the risk!" button. It'll open Firefox's hidden secret advanced configuration page i.e. about:config page.

2. Now type webrender in Search filter box and it'll show following preference in the window:

gfx.webrender.all

If the preference value is set to true, it means the WebRender feature is already enabled in your Firefox browser.

If the preference value is set to false, it means the WebRender feature is disabled in your Firefox browser.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Another domain you may want to blacklist if you're giving Google the middle finger:

My tablet was talking to gvt1.org so I whois'd it. Registrant is Google Inc and Registrar is MarkMonitor Inc.

Daruk

Honorary Master
There's a long list. There's probably a hosts file somewhere on GitHub with a fairly comprehensive one for a pihole or some such.
Blocking gvt1.com will apparently break a bunch of things including some Firefox updates. So now you rely on a Google "product" called markmonitor for Firefox to work too ...

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
Enabled webrender in Firefox. Will give it a test and see if it improves things for me. So far so good.

The new firefox v70 (in developer edition) also has a new js parsing engine to speed things up.

They also recently released a versoon that can use some in built renderer on Mac that will greatly reduce the battery usage as it uses some built in functionality in MacOS . I feel like they are making great strides.

Then again Ive never moved away from firefox due to all the reasons in this thread. Dont want to put all my eggs in one basket.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Blocking gvt1.com will apparently break a bunch of things including some Firefox updates. So now you rely on a Google "product" called markmonitor for Firefox to work too ...
I'd be interested to find out why. Firefox updates are easy enough to work around though, just download the installer directly every month or so. Or use Linux, and it'll come from your friendly neighborhood package manager.

Daruk

Honorary Master
I'd be interested to find out why. Firefox updates are easy enough to work around though, just download the installer directly every month or so. Or use Linux, and it'll come from your friendly neighborhood package manager.

newby_investor

Expert Member