Giving Google the middle finger

newby_investor

Expert Member
So what does a company that provides insights into consumer behaviour have to do with keeping software up to date...
Widevine provides DRM somehow, I forget the technical details. Your browser wouldn't be able to play video on Netflix or other such sites without it. The update is probably binary, if any of its components fail, the update is rolled back. Can't say I've looked too closely into it.

I think Google was part of the consortium that developed this. The details elude me now.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
The new firefox v70 (in developer edition) also has a new js parsing engine to speed things up.

They also recently released a versoon that can use some in built renderer on Mac that will greatly reduce the battery usage as it uses some built in functionality in MacOS . I feel like they are making great strides.

Then again Ive never moved away from firefox due to all the reasons in this thread. Dont want to put all my eggs in one basket.
Great news. Firefox is slow for me even on 16gb ram.

Daruk

Honorary Master
I think Google was part of the consortium that developed this. The details elude me now.
Right, but the connection of Google to MarkMonitor and MarkMonitor's part in keeping DRM up to date is not clear to me.

dbz0e

I always marvel at this logic...we're in Africa bro, no one gives a crap about you, and showing any interest in us. We so excluded from everthing. We living in a marvelous age, where to you have information at your fingertips. Research, educate, the world is your oyster...been spied on is the least of my worries

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I always marvel at this logic...we're in Africa bro, no one gives a crap about you, and showing any interest in us. We so excluded from everthing. We living in a marvelous age, where to you have information at your fingertips. Research, educate, the world is your oyster...been spied on is the least of my worries
I guess then you don't have curtains or blinds up at home as well?

newby_investor

Expert Member
"Because I’m blocking Google, Dropbox thinks I’m not a real person and won’t let me sign in. " LOL:laugh:

I have actually been thinking of removing dropbox in favour or box, mostly because box has 10GB free and Dropbox only 2GB, so not for the reason of avoiding google...
It's easy enough to self-host something like that. Seafile or Nextcloud both work on a Raspberry Pi, and then you can have as much space as you want. I've been doing it for years.

murray654

It's easy enough to self-host something like that. Seafile or Nextcloud both work on a Raspberry Pi, and then you can have as much space as you want. I've been doing it for years.
self hosting costs money - i was looking for free space up there. Dropbox works fine but I regularly hit the limit of 2GB and its a pain to delete stuff so someone can share something with you... If I move some of my own files off of dropbox then other people can share stuff with me on dropbox no problem. I really have no control of how other people share stuff. Some people use we transfer... some use dropbox... each to their own...

I have a qnap for local files... maybe if the qnap breaks... then i can consider these things...

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
"Because I’m blocking Google, Dropbox thinks I’m not a real person and won’t let me sign in. " LOL:laugh:

I have actually been thinking of removing dropbox in favour or box, mostly because box has 10GB free and Dropbox only 2GB, so not for the reason of avoiding google...
https://www.pcloud.com/ has webdav support and e2ee addon you can buy.

newby_investor

Expert Member
self hosting costs money - i was looking for free space up there. Dropbox works fine but I regularly hit the limit of 2GB and its a pain to delete stuff so someone can share something with you... If I move some of my own files off of dropbox then other people can share stuff with me on dropbox no problem. I really have no control of how other people share stuff. Some people use we transfer... some use dropbox... each to their own...

I have a qnap for local files... maybe if the qnap breaks... then i can consider these things...
Sure it costs money, but "free" services have you paying in other ways. With data for example. Which you may be fine with, but the thread is about getting rid of Google (and usually by extension other privacy-invading cloud players). I'm willing to pay for something that respects my privacy and gives me better control over my data. Heck, the costs aren't even that much.

I run my stuff off a raspberry pi (R350 on gumtree), and a HP Gen7 microserver (R1000 also gumtree). Hard drives were a bit more but I've been building those up gradually as time goes by. Electricity costs me around R60-70 per month, and my domain costs around R150 per year. I have access to all my files anywhere I go, and no cloud services involved.

If you already have a qnap, then making it available to yourself anywhere on the web costs actually very little. You're really only limited by your internet connection then - if you have fibre or a reasonable LTE cap then no issues, ADSL might be a challenge though.

murray654

If you already have a qnap, then making it available to yourself anywhere on the web costs actually very little. You're really only limited by your internet connection then - if you have fibre or a reasonable LTE cap then no issues, ADSL might be a challenge though.
I have 3G and a wisp, so in theory I could set this up, seems like a lot of work. Easier to open up box.com account. I already did, transferred some stuff and now I have 50% free on dropbox.com for people to share stuff with me...

As far as privacy is concerned: I am not sure what they going to sell? I have some pastel backups on there so far. Good luck selling that. TBH I think they give away storage as a marketing tool to get their slice of the 30 billion USD cloud storage market. IE they hope some users will one day upgrade to paying users, or one of the bigger companies buys them out (more likely).

https://www.pcloud.com/ has webdav support and e2ee addon you can buy.
that website would not open properly so I guess some part of it is blocked by my firewall. Went over to https://categorify.org/ to see why: "This site is recommended for adults only - and not safe for a work envinroment. " (that's their spelling :))

Well that might be ok for you, but I don't trust those kinds of neighbourhoods for storing my data.

note: The homepage itself was not blocked, but all the css and images (which it was trying to load from pcdn-www.pcloud.com) were.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I have 3G and a wisp, so in theory I could set this up, seems like a lot of work. Easier to open up box.com account. I already did, transferred some stuff and now I have 50% free on dropbox.com for people to share stuff with me...

As far as privacy is concerned: I am not sure what they going to sell? I have some pastel backups on there so far. Good luck selling that. TBH I think they give away storage as a marketing tool to get their slice of the 30 billion USD cloud storage market. IE they hope some users will one day upgrade to paying users, or one of the bigger companies buys them out (more likely).

that website would not open properly so I guess some part of it is blocked by my firewall. Went over to https://categorify.org/ to see why: "This site is recommended for adults only - and not safe for a work envinroment. " (that's their spelling :))

Well that might be ok for you, but I don't trust those kinds of neighbourhoods for storing my data.

note: The homepage itself was not blocked, but all the css and images (which it was trying to load from pcdn-www.pcloud.com) were.
Strange...

newby_investor

Expert Member

You're probably right. I'm a bit more... shall I say... paranoid with my own personal data. I don't use any cloud storage where some rando can come and read my vetkoek recipes and look at my holiday photos without my express permission. Each to their own I suppose.

It is a little bit of work but you'd be surprised how easy it is to set this stuff up. When I was younger I liked to do a lot of stuff manually, I haven't got time for it now. With things like containerisation becoming the trend, you can download a Docker or Turnkey image of just about any service you want, and boom, it works.

Solarion

Honorary Master
Sadly I find google too useful to give middle finger. Actually these days I'm using Bing a lot more, just like the look and feel of it.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Sure it costs money, but "free" services have you paying in other ways. With data for example. Which you may be fine with, but the thread is about getting rid of Google (and usually by extension other privacy-invading cloud players). I'm willing to pay for something that respects my privacy and gives me better control over my data. Heck, the costs aren't even that much.

I run my stuff off a raspberry pi (R350 on gumtree), and a HP Gen7 microserver (R1000 also gumtree). Hard drives were a bit more but I've been building those up gradually as time goes by. Electricity costs me around R60-70 per month, and my domain costs around R150 per year. I have access to all my files anywhere I go, and no cloud services involved.

Domain costs could of course be free as well.

Why would ADSL be a challenge?

newby_investor

Expert Member
Domain costs could of course be free as well.

Why would ADSL be a challenge?
Yes that's right, some domains are free. But even normal paid ones aren't expensive.

A self-hosted service would work on ADSL of course, I used to do that. But the upload speeds are terrible, so retrieving files from your home will be not a great experience. When I switched to LTE and fibre it was much much better.

kolaval

Expert Member
Other services also harvest data, because they need to make money.
Privacy in today's age is a joke but Google does not care about you as an individual.
Why bother?