Giving Google the middle finger

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Other services also harvest data, because they need to make money.
Privacy in today's age is a joke but Google does not care about you as an individual.
Why bother?
Why I started paying for services... Bitwarden is $10 p/a, Tutanota is €12 and a custom domain is also thereabouts. Cheap as chips. Also looking forward to Black Friday and grabbing and stocking up on some deals.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Yes that's right, some domains are free. But even normal paid ones aren't expensive.

A self-hosted service would work on ADSL of course, I used to do that. But the upload speeds are terrible, so retrieving files from your home will be not a great experience. When I switched to LTE and fibre it was much much better.
Aaah right forgot about the upload factor.

I'm on VDSL so it's not too bad.

I would imagine LTE is far more wonky though.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Aaah right forgot about the upload factor.

I'm on VDSL so it's not too bad.

I would imagine LTE is far more wonky though.
My experience with LTE for the ~18 months or so that I used it was pretty decent. Granted it was only myself and my wife using it, and not usually for heavy stuff, but we never had issues. It was certainly much more responsive than it was when it was coming over ADSL.

Can't say I've really experienced a difference from LTE to fibre except that I'm not concerned about accidentally capping myself anymore. Admin is more easy because I can use a proper router instead of the silly Huawei LTE one, but using my own services while I'm out and about hasn't changed really.

Why I started paying for services... Bitwarden is $10 p/a, Tutanota is €12 and a custom domain is also thereabouts. Cheap as chips. Also looking forward to Black Friday and grabbing and stocking up on some deals.
Very much this. Vote with your wallet. If you don't care about your personal data, that's your choice, but I do. So I prefer to pay someone like ProtonMail who makes their money from me, the customer, rather than using free Google stuff, and avoid being used as bait to lure their actual paying customers.