Giving Google the middle finger

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Other services also harvest data, because they need to make money.
Privacy in today's age is a joke but Google does not care about you as an individual.
Why bother?
Why I started paying for services... Bitwarden is $10 p/a, Tutanota is €12 and a custom domain is also thereabouts. Cheap as chips. Also looking forward to Black Friday and grabbing and stocking up on some deals.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Yes that's right, some domains are free. But even normal paid ones aren't expensive.

A self-hosted service would work on ADSL of course, I used to do that. But the upload speeds are terrible, so retrieving files from your home will be not a great experience. When I switched to LTE and fibre it was much much better.
Aaah right forgot about the upload factor.

I'm on VDSL so it's not too bad.

I would imagine LTE is far more wonky though.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Aaah right forgot about the upload factor.

I'm on VDSL so it's not too bad.

I would imagine LTE is far more wonky though.
My experience with LTE for the ~18 months or so that I used it was pretty decent. Granted it was only myself and my wife using it, and not usually for heavy stuff, but we never had issues. It was certainly much more responsive than it was when it was coming over ADSL.

Can't say I've really experienced a difference from LTE to fibre except that I'm not concerned about accidentally capping myself anymore. Admin is more easy because I can use a proper router instead of the silly Huawei LTE one, but using my own services while I'm out and about hasn't changed really.

Why I started paying for services... Bitwarden is $10 p/a, Tutanota is €12 and a custom domain is also thereabouts. Cheap as chips. Also looking forward to Black Friday and grabbing and stocking up on some deals.
Very much this. Vote with your wallet. If you don't care about your personal data, that's your choice, but I do. So I prefer to pay someone like ProtonMail who makes their money from me, the customer, rather than using free Google stuff, and avoid being used as bait to lure their actual paying customers.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Privacy doesn't exist on Chrome. Maybe some Chromium variant, rather use Firefox.
Even if you enable all of these settings in the article, you're still sending data back to Google.
Firefox is slow for me and enough so to grind my gears. The new update on mobile is nice though. Extensions are also more polished on Chromium browsers. Also as the article mentions apart from slowness some sites only work with Chromium browsers.

shearder

what is a good email provider other than gmail and then having to move 13GB of email off... lol

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
what is a good email provider other than gmail and then having to move 13GB of email off... lol
That's a lot of emails. If its large attachments you can perhaps save it on a cloud drive. Mailbox.org with a 25gig mailbox will be 3.5 euro per month and 10gig with tutanota.com will be about 3 euro. Else get a domain and use Gsuite for business. AFAIK the data on there belongs to you unlike with the free Gmail.

shearder

That's a lot of emails. If its large attachments you can perhaps save it on a cloud drive. Mailbox.org with a 25gig mailbox will be 3.5 euro per month and 10gig with tutanota.com will be about 3 euro. Else get a domain and use Gsuite for business. AFAIK the data on there belongs to you unlike with the free Gmail.
COOL! Thanks.

shearder

oh yeah it is a lot of emails over the last 17 years. I had a gmail almost from their testing stage where i had to be invited to use it.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Firefox is slow for me and enough so to grind my gears. The new update on mobile is nice though. Extensions are also more polished on Chromium browsers. Also as the article mentions apart from slowness some sites only work with Chromium browsers.
You must be the only one. Since the Quantum update, Firefox has been pretty consistently faster than Chrome.

In my case, since Edge is now basically Chromium, I use it for the (rare) occasion that Firefox doesn't work, if I absolutely need to get to it.

IOPS

Firefox needs tweaking, out of the box it isn't as useful as Chrome I'll admit. Go through some basic hardening, find the right extensions etc. I haven't come across any sites that haven't worked with Firefox. My only complaint about Firefox is their Android app. It's gotten better with the last major update, but still isn't on par with Chrome or Brave for me.

Regardless, trying to use Chrome as a privacy conscious browser just doesn't work.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Is Safari not a Chrome derivative as well though? Or is Edge just better?
Nope Safari uses WebKit and does it’s own thing.

I do prefer Safari overall especially as it integrates between all my devices.

But for the needs of account separation and splitting work from pleasure etc I have Edge as well.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Nope Safari uses WebKit and does it’s own thing.

I do prefer Safari overall especially as it integrates between all my devices.

But for the needs of account separation and splitting work from pleasure etc I have Edge as well.
I use Firefox containers for that purpose... I used to have Firefox and Chrome for the purpose but having two browsers open just hogs so much RAM it's not funny. I actually have to get some work done with my machine!

I got rid of Chrome and use Edge now only when there's something that breaks with Firefox.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I use Firefox containers for that purpose... I used to have Firefox and Chrome for the purpose but having two browsers open just hogs so much RAM it's not funny. I actually have to get some work done with my machine!

I got rid of Chrome and use Edge now only when there's something that breaks with Firefox.
Nah no worries with that.

Safari doesn’t even register as a top process.