Giving Google the middle finger

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Firefox and iphone

Also purchased but haven’t set up protonmail. And then also need to figure out a way to tunnel all browsing traffic on network through their VPN

DuckDuckGo will be a difficult one to swallow though. Might end up on bing instead as compromise

newby_investor

Expert Member
Actually its the Google Authenticator
Google Authenticator is nothing special. The app just generates an OTP based on a fixed string and the current time. Authy will give you the exact same results - it implements the same standard. The functionality is also built into some password managers like Bitwarden which is what I use.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Also purchased but haven’t set up protonmail. And then also need to figure out a way to tunnel all browsing traffic on network through their VPN
What is your threat model that you need a VPN? I have always thought they don't add much value if you're at home.

DuckDuckGo will be a difficult one to swallow though. Might end up on bing instead as compromise
I use DDG daily, I think it works great. Except for super-local stuff like "where can I buy <some product>". Google does best with that. Most of DDG's results come from Bing already anyway.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
What is your threat model that you need a VPN? I have always thought they don't add much value if you're at home.
Yeah the value proposition is somewhat questionable. Fingerprinting etc will see through it anyway. But I purchased it for protonmail anyway and making things as difficult as possible for the baddies is the aim

Do need to test it though...on a gigabit line so could potentially suck re speeds

newby_investor

Expert Member
Yeah the value proposition is somewhat questionable. Fingerprinting etc will see through it anyway. But I purchased it for protonmail anyway and making things as difficult as possible for the baddies is the aim

Do need to test it though...on a gigabit line so could potentially suck re speeds
I use only ProtonMail (paid), I don’t bundle with the vpn. I did use it briefly while travelling a while ago when I didn’t trust the WiFi. Speeds were great but YMMV.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Moved on over to mailbox.org. Works great so far.
Lol well a month and a half later they went and cocked things up by raising their prices as well and taking features away. Will have to compare with Protonmail and see how things compare.

EDIT: Seems I'm grandfathered in the existing plan. Noice.

Last edited: