• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.

Goedemoed & The Crest, Durbanville trenching (Vuma + Octo)

Reaver.ZA

So Vumatel and Octotel are both installing fibre right now in my area.

Heard from a friend that lives nearby that Vumatel trenched through his driveway and closed up and that Octotel was going to also have to trench again.

So I asked Octotel why they don't work with Vumatel and just simultaneously install fibre and maybe even share trenching costs.

According to Octotel rep I spoke to this morning they approached Vumatel multiple times but Vuma refuses to share their trenching work :wtf:

Is there a Vumatel rep on here that can confirm this? If so why do you do this, would it not make sense to share costs where possible?

TheRedBar0n

Heard from a friend that lives nearby that Vumatel trenched through his driveway and closed up and that Octotel was going to also have to trench again.

So I asked Octotel why they don't work with Vumatel and just simultaneously install fibre and maybe even share trenching costs.
I made an order with Afrihost to use Octotel. Vumatel now trenching in our area here in Sontraal Heights. If this is true, then Octotel hasn't even started... :wtf: Did mention 6 week installation though, on week 4.5 now.

Syphonx

Expert Member
Yeah but don't they have to retrench exactly where Vuma dug up and closed? Which will in any case possibly cause breakage when re-opened?
Not very often they will need to dig anything up, the fibre is in ducting so they can always thread more in, and Vumatel sends two strands to each house, so they can switch over to the 2nd strand if the 1st fails.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
People in Pascali street already got their gardens dug up twice, not happy campers at all, Octotel dug far back in the gardens and Vumatel close the the curb. Not sure it's allowed to dug through where Octotel did, is it not supposed to be within 2m from the curb or something?

Sopbeen

Im exactly in the situation, vumatel is currenly busy trenching in my road as I am typing this.
Octotel might start next month with their own trenching.
There goes the driveway again:crying:
Just get each provider to trench over a different part of the driveway. Free driveway upgrade. You're Welcome.

In all seriousness, this is great for the area and our pockets. Having the option of 3 providers to manage your line would at the very least ensure that pricing will remain competitive... Oh wait this is ZA, they probably all have price fixing agreements in place :D

Hein69

Just get each provider to trench over a different part of the driveway. Free driveway upgrade. You're Welcome.

In all seriousness, this is great for the area and our pockets. Having the option of 3 providers to manage your line would at the very least ensure that pricing will remain competitive... Oh wait this is ZA, they probably all have price fixing agreements in place :D
Guess I will have to do that:crylaugh:
I agree, it is great for the area! Sadly at this stage prices between them are pretty much the same from a 20mb line.
At this stage I will choose vuma, since they made it to my house first:D

Sopbeen

Guess I will have to do that:crylaugh:
I agree, it is great for the area! Sadly at this stage prices between them are pretty much the same from a 20mb line.
At this stage I will choose vuma, since they made it to my house first:D
I'll patiently wait it out on OpenServe until all is done... Want to see if Octo/Vuma try to bribe me with a good deal.

TheRedBar0n

Anybody up and running with Vumatel in Sontraal Heights\Goedemoed yet? Vumatel laid fibre yesterday in front of our townhouse complex, so waiting patiently for that phone call for installation :)

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Anybody up and running with Vumatel in Sontraal Heights\Goedemoed yet? Vumatel laid fibre yesterday in front of our townhouse complex, so waiting patiently for that phone call for installation :)
Going to be a few more weeks before they start connecting people

TheRedBar0n

Anybody up and running in Sonstraal Heights area?

Fibre is now laid in our area and in front of my house, and according to WA and AH, Vumatel is live. Got an installation date which was this past Tuesday, but got cancelled. A few phone calls later, confirmed with Vuma they are live, but no new install scheduled.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Yes, mine went live last night, in Piscali street.
Might have chosen the wrong ISP as my international speeds are far worse than my 4Mb adsl line (

If you can wait for Octotel, that is if you want 10Mb option, ISP's charge the same for the 10Mb package where on Vumatel you get 4Mb for the same price

But 20Mb packages and up are the same price so if that is the case just go with Vumatel

Octotel still busy trenching

Phone them to schedule install, friend got his installed this morning, he is in Goedemoed/The Crest area

I did not want to pay more than I did for 4Mb ADSL, so choose the 4Mb line. Seems I should have stayed on ADSL rather. Yes, I am cheapskate lol. Only me in the house so no real need for more but would have liked 10Mb from Octotel for same price I am now paying for 4Mb

Local Speedtest 4.18Mbps down and 0.93Mbps up
International, 2.01Mbps max down and 0.91Mbps up, that is the max I got, mostly 1.2Mbps down international, can't even stream youtube now, ISP is Rocketnet

Did log a call with them but still need to send screenshots of the speedtests, so hopefully something that can be sorted

Last edited:

TheRedBar0n

Might have chosen the wrong ISP as my international speeds are far worse than my 4Mb adsl line (

If you can wait for Octotel, that is if you want 10Mb option, ISP's charge the same for the 10Mb package where on Vumatel you get 4Mb for the same price

But 20Mb packages and up are the same price so if that is the case just go with Vumatel

Phone them to schedule install, friend got his installed this morning, he is in Goedemoed/The Crest area

I did not want to pay more than I did for 4Mb ADSL, so choose the 4Mb line. Seems I should have stayed on ADSL rather. Yes, I am cheapskate lol. Only me in the house so no real need for more but would have liked 10Mb from Octotel for same price I am now paying for 4Mb

International, 2.01Mbps max down and 0.91Mbps up, that is the max I got, mostly 1.2Mbps down international, can't even stream youtube now, ISP is Rocketnet

Did log a call with them but still need to send screenshots of the speedtests, so hopefully something that can be sorted
Yeah don't know what communication circus Vumatel is running... Called Nano Fiber about an hour ago, they scheduled an install for me on Monday. Received a call back 10mins ago, Vumatel told them they are not allowed yet. But 2 days ago Vumatel confirmed they are up and running. :erm:

Decided to leave as is and follow up in 1-2 weeks. Thanks for the reply :)

Hein69

Oh boy, I was really considering Rocketnet as a ISP for the 4Mb for now. But that sounds bad.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Oh boy, I was really considering Rocketnet as a ISP for the 4Mb for now. But that sounds bad.
Mine is sorted now, full speed to international as well. Also decided to upgrade to 20mb and the change took 5 minutes, also full speed on 20Mb so it seems whatever the issue was is gone
6688554756.png

Last edited:

LPCPT

I live in Uitzicht (Durbanville) and Vuma trenched my street. Real messy business but now all closed up except for some houses where they have these concrete driveways. Don't know what's going to happen there.
The sad part for me is that after confirming 3 times that they must connect my house, they went right past and connect my neighbor. No idea if they will come back and connect me.
Did follow it up with one of the reps so will wait patiently.