Going back to the office

marbro

Anyone hearing rumbles about going back to "normal" work?

I currently do 3 days from home and 2 from the office, I really like that setup too.

What do you think the future of WFH in South Africa will be?

saor

Honorary Master
Probably depends on specific businesses rather than a general approach. If your current setup is working, wouldn't your company be willing to keep things that way?

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I was 1 week on 1 week off office until today
Now I am Mon, Wed & Fri every week
Which i prefer, having those 9 day long weekends is too much
I get bored at home and come to work in a shitstorm
3 days a week at the office is gonna be ideal i reckon

Also depends what you do as @saor points out, no use a gardener or a waiter try and work from home

saor

Honorary Master
I was 1 week on 1 week off office until today
Now I am Mon, Wed & Fri every week
Which i prefer, having those 9 day long weekends is too much
I get bored at home and come to work in a shitstorm
3 days a week at the office is gonna be ideal i reckon
I live in an apartment so the work-from-home thing started to feel cramped. At the start it was great, but the novelty wore off toward the end of last year so I'm (voluntarily) back at the office full time. Nice having that separation between work and home. Working at home I was also being asked to do stuff outside of work hours and with being back in the office I don't get bothered once I walk out here.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
We got rid of our offices, only WFH from here on... We do have access to boardrooms through a friendly business in our old building but I expect no more than one such meeting per quarter.

irBosOtter

Expert Member

I currently do 3 days from home and 2 from the office, I really like that setup too.

Been back at the office since last year, suppose it depends on your company and if they want people to work from home or not

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
My wife returned to work today even though they have been more productive at home from what I could see.
I've been told that we will WFH until July at least but will most likely be working from home for the rest of the year

Varktjop

Expert Member
I've been back at work full time since September because I fall under "essential support." We have been working at 50% or less office personnel until middle Feb though.

surface

Honorary Master
It depends on company & job profile. Our management has decided to continue WFH "forever" for BA's/SME's, developers, testers etc. Only some operational staff (I kid you not) that wants to work from office have been allowed to work from office. Even most call centre staff is still working from home.

Cius

Executive Member
My opinion; WFH won't catch on here. The vast majority of us will be back to normal within the coming weeks/months.
Saw an article the other day analyzing this question based on Google movement stats and in the UK and USA it seemed the WFH trend was definitely stronger and more likely to stick. SA workers where already back to working in the office far more than those countries with the likelihood of it going back to the way it was post the vaccine rollout being far more likely.

They are considering a more permanent WFH option for my department. Sounds like it would be a few days in office a few days at home each week and I am already trying to influence how that works with our new HOD but for now they very much want most of us at home until it is safe to return.

JohnStarr

Expert Member

I think this virus has proven you don't need large offices anymore. Hot-desking will work really well.
My company hasn't said a thing at all, so I WFH most of the week, if not all the week, and then only come in when I really need too.

Corelli

Expert Member
My whole company has been wfh since Feb last year. There is no talks of going back. In matter of fact its strongly discouraged.

Hellhound105

Executive Member
If your job has the characteristics to WFH, why not?

Just supply your own internet

neoprema

Expert Member
Its all fun and games during a pandemic, what till we see the tail end of COVID.

I reckon a lot of companies are gonna be sitting with the productivity numbers way way below what they were in 2019....Which they may accept. Its whether their clients will....

I also expect to see same-level inconsistensies which will be interesting and problematic for companies to solve. For example Bob and Arthur go back to the office, but John and Joe work from home. Naturally Bob and Arthur are more "in the mix of things" by being at the office and that will result in more being expected from them with less acceptance of "I'll do it just now i'm changing the baby's nappy". So Bob and Arthur will feel things are less fair for them workload and expectation wise compared to those still working from home.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
If your job has the characteristics to WFH, why not?

Just supply your own internet

My co gave out Rain SIM's + Modems for all office staff. All of them still on WFH.

I also expect to see same-level inconsistensies which will be interesting and problematic for companies to solve. For example Bob and Arthur go back to the office, but John and Joe work from home. Naturally Bob and Arthur are more "in the mix of things" by being at the office and that will result in more being expected from them with less acceptance of "I'll do it just now i'm changing the baby's nappy". So Bob and Arthur will feel things are less fair for them workload and expectation wise compared to those still working from home.

We already seeing that... esp come payday.

Last edited: