Golf Thread: Discussion, News & Reviews

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Hero World Challenge live from the Bahamas currently on. Tiger, the host, just triple bogeyed the par 3 12th. Currently sits in last place (out of 18 players)

*TJR*

I hope he beats all the records of Nicklaus & Snead. Majors: T=14, N=18. PGA wins: S=82, T=80.

Speedster

Honorary Master
I hope he beats all the records of Nicklaus & Snead. Majors: T=14, N=18. PGA wins: S=82, T=80.
No chance. He's a spent force and the quality of the new guys coming through is just insane

walterl

Expert Member
Will be interested to see if it continues or if its just a confidence thing. Considering golf, at least for me, is very much a confidence and mindset game, it might be more the fact that its a new club rather than the technology.

In saying that, if it continues, i might just go grab a M4 myself :)
Looking around though, I think I will always wait for November / December to pick clubs up, not really bothered they one or two models behind, the price reduction is obscene

Okay so I just played my best 18 ever, beating the previous by 1 shot. Played a 42 on the 1st 9 but only hit 2 out of 7 fairways but I think the 5 that were off were all just off like a metre from the fairway

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Okay so I just played my best 18 ever, beating the previous by 1 shot. Played a 42 on the 1st 9 but only hit 2 out of 7 fairways but I think the 5 that were off were all just off like a metre from the fairway

Decent! And the back nine?

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Quote from Dale Hayes' newsletter:

Jon Rahm won the Hero World Challenge at Albany Golf Club thanks to a final round 7-under 65 that gave him a four-shot win over Tony Finau on 20-under 268. Justin Rose finished third on 15-under. Amazingly no-one shot over par for the four rounds. The 18th and last player was Hideki Matsyuma on level par. Tiger was second last on 1-under. Justin Thomas was the most consistent – he shot four rounds of 70 to finish at 8-under. Alex Noren shot a 70 in round 3 that included a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and a 7 - that just may be a record.

walterl

Expert Member
:ROFL:

My best nine ever was at Arabella a couple of years ago. Shot 37. Wheels came off on the back nine but it didn't detract from the round.

okay the 2nd 9 was a 46 for 88 on the 18...so 16 over par, my handicap index went down to 17.3

walterl

Expert Member
Don't forget the SA Open starts on Thursday! It's at Randpark this year

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Don't forget the SA Open starts on Thursday! It's at Randpark this year
It is a tri-sanctioned event too (Asia, Europe, Sunshine Tour). A good field too. Will try go watch on the weekend.

walterl

Expert Member
So Dean Burmester starts Eagle - Birdie to share the lead on -3 after 2 holes. He is playing on the Bushwillow course, which is probably slightly easier than the Firethorn course

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
So Dean Burmester starts Eagle - Birdie to share the lead on -3 after 2 holes. He is playing on the Bushwillow course, which is probably slightly easier than the Firethorn course

Rookie mistake. He sets the bar way too high going forward with a start like that. Now me, I like to start with a ring or two. You know, ease into it :p

walterl

Expert Member
Only 5 players in the top 37 currently on Firethorn, confirming that Bushwillow probably plays a bit easier

Speedster

Honorary Master
I'm playing more and more frequently and need to get some sort of indication of a handicap to be fair to the buds I'm playing with. Does anyone know of a decent app or website that will do this?

I'm not really keen on paying R1000pa just for a handicap, so looking for a different way to calculate this.

Speedster

Honorary Master
You can calculate it yourself, it's not difficult. You take your last 20 differentials, then the lowest 10 count, add them up, divide by 10 and multiply by 0.96 and that should be your handicap

From Handicaps.co.za - https://www.handicaps.co.za/handicaps-info/faq
Thanks. I guess that means I'll need to set up an excel sheet to keep track... Should be pretty simple though.

This morning's 88 on a 73.50 CR / 139 SR was pretty sweet as I'm normally in the mid to high 90s

walterl

Expert Member
I do mine in Excel as well. 88 is my best score ever...got it last Friday, playing again tomorrow at Glenvista