Good idea to buy Ssecond hand Windows XP on ebay?

Threepwood

Main concern would be that the software is black listed against updates or something like that, or not a retail as is represented rather OEM/DSP. As far as that goes though I guess I can only trust the seller, individual has a good rating with only 1 negative/neutral comment, so not the worst case.

I was wondering in general if they like to sell to SA people on ebay as well?

The specific item I want is not listed as shipping to SA or worldwide or whatever, but I have a contact in one of the shippable countries.

What do you think?

EDIT: Went to register on eBay and Opera's fruad check says, "The connection to scgi.ebay.com is not secure. Do not use it to submit sensitive information. The server attempted to appply security measures but failed." Or something along those lines. Firefox seems to think it's ok.

Last edited:

Threepwood

Not a retail version. Not for under R1700, a bit much. Secondhand seems like a good idea to me therefore.

Actually I will try post a want ad in the classifieds...

CaTcH21

Expert Member
Not a retail version. Not for under R1700, a bit much. Secondhand seems like a good idea to me therefore.

Actually I will try post a want ad in the classifieds...
as long as the seller is a power seller, there is no need to worry.

Threepwood

What's a power seller? I have only just registered on eBay, don't know all the stuff about it yet.

It says in the person's profile "Paypal, up to $2000 in buyer protection." Which I assume means I only get protection through PayPal, and seeing as we can't recieve paypal funds in SA that means I wont recieve anything back if there is a problem?

Last edited:

gregmcc

Honorary Master
I wouldnt buy software over ebay. MS software is non transferable, so if your buying a 2nd hand copy its not legit. Also how do you know the copy your getting is original that's never been used.

Why don't you get a home version - its like 1k

kiepie

Executive Member
I wouldnt buy software over ebay. MS software is non transferable, so if your buying a 2nd hand copy its not legit. Also how do you know the copy your getting is original that's never been used.

+1
I agree 100%, rather have a look here in SA.

Threepwood

It should be usable so long as it's not installed on any other PC, that's how it works with a RETAIL version, it's transferrable between PCs, but can't be used on 2 at the same time.

All you can get here now is DSP, which is tied to your motherboard mainly, but also your overall hardware setup. When your H/W config changes by 70% or you change your motherboard, you are required to purchase a new DSP OS. This means 1K every time I upgrade significantly, or need to change my motheboard, no thanks.

A DSP version will not work on any other PC than the one it's initially installed on. Whereas retail versions can be moved, as long as they are removed from the 1st PC.

Cube3

Expert Member
I have a copy of XP Professional that I no longer use, I moved over to Vista :D

Waaib

Executive Member
What about searching on gumtree.co.za ? I've seen some secondhand versions there. Also there is a secondhand PC gear shop (justpcs.co.za) they sell online and you can email and ask them for stuff that's not listed on the site.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Threepwood : technically according to the EULA, an XP license CANNOT be transferred.. at all.

PeterCH

Honorary Master

I bought MS Office on Ebay once, DSP version, activated OK, no problems,
came on the full hologram engraved CD with code. There are plenty of sellers
which ship to South Africa.

As for OEM, DSP, YOU Can buy DSP/OEM. The code should register the software and it should pass the MS call home thing.

I found it safe to buy software on Ebay. Just find a seller with many sales
and a good rating (close to 100%).

As for protection, PayPal would credit you back the funds (reverse the charge on your credit card) if the software does not arrive, however if the software arrives and is counterfeit, you'll
have to DHL the software back to the seller first and provide PayPal with
the tracking number before they credit your card.

If you don't like Ebay you can always try the Cdromshop.com from Canada.

PeterCH

Honorary Master
Threepwood : technically according to the EULA, an XP license CANNOT be transferred.. at all.
Most MS software sold on Ebay has never been registered which means
it does not have an owner according to MS. Most Ebay sellers resell stock
which was left on the shelves too long or never installed. So that's not
a problem.

Threepwood

Thanks Waaib and PeterCH, I'll have a look at those other options for sourcing a copy.

Last edited:

Threepwood

I don't have links, but have read up quite a bit on this.

AFAIK with retail versions the license is transferable between machines, so long as the OS is first removed from the first one.

With OEM/DSP the license is tied to the machine and not the user/owner of the machine.

CaTcH21

Expert Member
On the top right you will see the seller Username/Nick name and in brackets is his feedback score, which is something you should really look at to see his credibility, and next to that will be a 'power seller' logo. If theres no logo the seller is not a powerseller. A seller does not have to be a powerseller to be legit but its always safer. Remember, dont bid if you not going to buy, cos if you win the auction and dont pay,you will get negative feedback, which is something you dont want. Well that is if you are always going to be buying from eBay.

One more thing, if you manage to buy it, tell the seller to mark the package as a gift so you dont pay duties and vat.

Threepwood

Doesn't look like the seller will trust someone in SA.

It seems that anyone in Africa is pretty much blacklisted as far as eBay goes, apparently 'cos of an influx of Nigerian scams.

CaTcH21

Expert Member
Doesn't look like the seller will trust someone in SA.

It seems that anyone in Africa is pretty much blacklisted as far as eBay goes, apparently 'cos of an influx of Nigerian scams.
maybe because you are a new member and have no feedback. Im a regular shopper on eBay and no one has ever refused to ship to me. There are thousands of sellers, you'll find someone who will ship to you ;)