Good news about SA's vaccine rollout

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
While South Africa’s Covid-19 vaccine drive started poorly, it quickly caught up to the best in the world.
Meanwhile the acutal quote:
As vaccinations in South Africa have ramped up, Kingston said that vaccination rates per capita are now comparable with the best in the world.
That per capita is very important, and the now.

Most countries vaccination rates are starting to slow down a bit as they hit over the 50/60% mark, here (Austria) for example its gone from over 100 to 120k/day weekday normal, to barely 70k/day most weekdays and will probably decline.

So per capita of 8.8m / 120k /day = 74 days, at 8.8m / 70k/day = 126 days. Right now, yesterday's stats being a Saturday, 39k new vaccinations, so ~250 days vs South Africa weekday stats.
South Africa at 59m (probably higher) / 250k / day = 236 days.

Looking at the figures % wise of at least partially immunized for Austria:
1627211105427.png
Bold one is Austria (Österreich), rest are provinces. The 25-44 would be the slowest since only a month since, and 35-45/50 (can't remember the exact end age) were only allowed to get vaccinated two weeks ago or so, yet percentages are already this high and starting to drop as you now have skeptics and those who already had covid who won't get the vaccine or will only get it way later.

<25 you can't really look at as <18 is not allowed to vaccinate yet, but if it's already nearly hit 1:4, that's probably a good 60/70%.

Austria is barely in the top half of Europe, 15/33:
covid-19-vaccination-rate-in-europe-by-country.jpg

Comparing to best in the world only works since vaccination rates slowed down as populations started hitting cap in terms of % vaccinations, so other factors come into play. Places like Bulgaria have huge issues with a population where they have a lot of people in key positions that are vaccine denialists, among other things.

It is good that vaccine rates are finally being increased though, hope South Africa does well, excess stock from countries like the US/UK should be donated soon to most of Africa as well, it will increase stock since I've heard from people administering that there are stock shortages in quite a few places over the last few days, though might just be logistics.

Mercury12

Expert Member
The rollout started of as a shambles but we really have turned things around. Its one of the only positives right now in my book. Hope they ramp up quickly. Tired of Covid and lockdowns, we need people vaccinated as quickly as possible.

krycor

Honorary Master
I think someone needs to wake up the anti vaxxors to reality that they may be denied access to things to keep lockdowns away.. ie

want to have a awesome dec holiday without lockdown.. then get vaccinated now.

I think Cpt is pushing the vac everywhere so they can claim that they don’t need to shutdown with rest of the country. Guess we will see as we approach nov.

Obronie

I think someone needs to wake up the anti vaxxors to reality that they may be denied access to things to keep lockdowns away.. ie

want to have a awesome dec holiday without lockdown.. then get vaccinated now.

I think Cpt is pushing the vac everywhere so they can claim that they don’t need to shutdown with rest of the country. Guess we will see as we approach nov.
So many people I know dont wanna go for the vaccine. It f.. scares me to think what is going on in their head, paradoxically they are also the ones that complain the most about the lockdown and masks.

I think maybe government, printed and digital media must start displaying a barometer on national and provincial level and set certain goals for each province. It might help to frame it more positive and help to make them understand the herd iminuty. This is not only about your choice and basta the others. USA was also on a roll and now thanks to the anti vaxxers it has slow down with most states not reaching herd immunity.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
There was a mobile clinic at the local spar yesterday. I'd expected it to be heaving but there was no queue whatsoever.

noxibox

Honorary Master
So many people I know dont wanna go for the vaccine. It f.. scares me to think what is going on in their head, paradoxically they are also the ones that complain the most about the lockdown and masks.

I think maybe government, printed and digital media must start displaying a barometer on national and provincial level and set certain goals for each province. It might help to frame it more positive and help to make them understand the herd iminuty. This is not only about your choice and basta the others. USA was also on a roll and now thanks to the anti vaxxers it has slow down with most states not reaching herd immunity.
Wasn't there a news story going around recently claiming herd immunity was going to be impossible? Then you have countries that have levels of vaccination not removing restrictions or re-imposing them as soon as people start getting infected.

Frankly no-one I've encountered who is adamant about not getting this vaccine believes governments are going to stop imposing restrictions. So how about the government gives some guarantees and sticks to them?

cape town's convention centre is running like a military operation
That badly?

Last edited:

Obronie

Wasn't there a news story going around recently claiming herd immunity was going to be impossible? Then you have countries that have levels of vaccination not removing restrictions or re-imposing them as soon as people start getting infected.

Frankly no-one I've encountered who is adamant about not getting this vaccine believes governments are going to stop imposing restrictions. So how about the government gives some guarantees and sticks to them?

The constitution is the guarantee, what other guarantee do you want. I will in any case not be in there interest? It still means you can be discriminated and I am all in support of it.

noxibox

Honorary Master
The constitution is the guarantee, what other guarantee do you want. I will in any case not be in there interest?
You must be living in a fantasy world if you think the constitution is any impediment to retaining restrictions indefinitely due to a claimed threat. But there has yet to be any promise made by the South African government in regard to removing restrictions.

Obronie

You must be living in a fantasy world if you think the constitution is any impediment to retaining restrictions indefinitely due to a claimed threat. But there has yet to be any promise made by the South African government in regard to removing restrictions.
What would you accept as guarantee?

Conack

Expert Member
The problem with vaccine rollouts over the world is that you can't vaccinate everyone simultaneously, so it'll always have someone on an older version of vax (or unvaxxed) - so it becomes an endless tail chasing / arms-race?

This was hypothesized by Bret Weinstein as the first vaccines were announced when he cautioned that this arms race could do more harm than good, unless it can be done in one fell swoop. (Which it can't)

What's the answer?
I certainly don't know - but vaccines as they're made right now doesn't look like it, since we're now seeing the vaccinated getting covid and it keeps mutating.

Maybe an alternative like this:
"Pfizer is testing a pill to "cure" COVID-19 in infected people, ... If approved by the FDA, the new oral pill will be the first of its kind."

Benedict A55h0le

Expert Member
All the crazy vaxxed people now go around making up for lost social time and spreading more Covid than what they would if they were still scared and unvaxxed.