Good news for driver's licence renewals

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member

Good news for driver's licence renewals

Transport minister Fikile Mbalula has announced the deadline for the grace period for renewing licences will be extended from 31 August 2021 to 31 March 2022.

“To give motorists a fair opportunity to renew their licences, while we are rolling out a number of measures to improve efficiencies and resolve challenges, we have decided to extend further the grace period for the renewal of licences,” Mbalula stated.

All learner’s licences, driving licence cards, temporary driving licences and professional driving permits that expired between 26 March 2020 and 31 August 2021 are deemed to be valid, and their validity periods are extended for a further grace period ending on 31 March 2022.

maxxis

Now everyone can sit back and relax just to freak out again in March next here.

Skankhunt

Expert Member
Great, now I can make a day out of it.. Mine only expires December, but 2 family members' licenses expired last year June already and they've been slacking to get it renewed so I'm gonna push them to get it done in the next few weeks.
So guess I'll just tag along and get mine renewed in the as well, the I don't have to worry about in December.

Thestealth

Expert Member
I can't wait for the thread that'll be started on 30/03/2022 complaining about the deadline.

• Haha
Reactions: "D"

deweyzeph

Executive Member
What about people who have to replace their cards because they were lost or stolen? Doesn't help them in any way whatsoever.

Ecko_1

Great. Now I don't have to drive with an expired licence while I wait for my new one to arrive. I didn't get a temp licence when I renewed mine. Was just gonna risk it. Wanted to spend as little time as possible at the testing grounds.

Moosedrool

Executive Member
Great. Now I don't have to drive with an expired licence while I wait for my new one to arrive. I didn't get a temp licence when I renewed mine. Was just gonna risk it. Wanted to spend as little time as possible at the testing grounds.

The concept of a temporary licence is a money making racket. I still don't understand why our nation bends over for some rubbish laws which makes no sense. You get a invoice with your eye test results date and waiting time. But for some reason it isn't sufficient.

Ecko_1

The concept of a temporary licence is a money making racket. I still don't understand why our nation bends over for some rubbish laws which makes no sense. You get a invoice with your eye test results date and waiting time. But for some reason it isn't sufficient.
I agree. My expired drivers licence and the printed page as proof of renewal should be enough to prove that I am a law abiding citizen. If not then they should be providing the temp licence for free if they don't expect to have your new card ready before your current one expires.

I refuse to give them any more money than I have to.

eg2505

Honorary Master
so if mine expires in 2022 in April,
is it a good idea to go get a booking slot already ready this far in advance? so I don't struggle?
or is the system set up by jacka$$es and its impossible?

bluepoole

so if mine expires in 2022 in April,
is it a good idea to go get a booking slot already ready this far in advance? so I don't struggle?
or is the system set up by jacka$$es and its impossible?
If I remember correctly, and I stand to be corrected, before all the COVID mess, extentions etc. with other words, under "normal circumstances", you could renew your license up to a maximum of 6 months before expiry date.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
I knew this was going to happen.

Now everyone is going to wait until March 2022 to renew their license and bitch again that they can't :ROFL:

That's the month my licence is due. Will have to fight even more queues than usual...

• Haha
Reactions: "D"

ConfusedR

Expert Member
And now, everybody will wait until the last week of March to renew their licenses