Good news for WhatsApp users on Vodacom

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Good news for WhatsApp users on Vodacom

Vodacom’s WhatsApp voice users can continue to use the service without any concerns of being charged additional fees for VoIP calls.

Unbeknown to many Vodacom subscribers, the company has previously lodged a tariff of R10 per MB for VoIP traffic with the regulator several years ago.

Happy Days

How's this good news? Vodacon would have been sunk if they ever tried to charge additional fees for VOIP.

Reactions: OCP

370z

"It is, however, not all bad. A Cell C spokesperson told MyBroadband that while it previously suffered a decrease in traditional call minutes being used, this has now stabilised.
“This indicates that there is still a need amongst customers to communicate via making a call,” said Cell C."

Either that or your network is too rubbish to make VOIP calls

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I hate Whatsapp Calls. Will only accept them if it's my family.
The quality is terrible.
Having said that though, Vodacom's call quality is not much better, and their rate of dropped calls is horrendous.

Swa

Honorary Master
Doubt it would have been legal for them to charge a differentiating rate for something they don't provide. Data is data. They probably realised there's no market for their own voip app so time to say goodbye to those tariffs.

Bad1

everyone agree vodacom is a threat to the consumer, port away from them, stop supporting shareholders in Europe, save South Africas economy, what's left of it

grok

Honorary Master
We are not worthy of such great deeds. Praise be to Vodacom and their merciful and virtuous decision makers.
The only way such magnificent benevolence can be surpassed is by Vodacom making VOIP tariffs blended, cos as we all know those blended formulas saved us consumers an absolute fortune in the cost of calls LOL..

Jopie Fourie

Expert Member
Agreed. Whatsapp calls are for the poorest of the poor. I simply use normal phone calls, which still has issues with most providers, but are a lot better than Whatsapp calls.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Jesus Christ, is the article correct? R10000 PER GIG?

wtf

furpile

Expert Member
Remember that the other network operators filed the same charges back then. I wonder if they are also going to cancel them now?

[XC] Oj101

Expert Member
WhatsApp call quality is rubbish to begin with, so it would make no difference to me even if I used Vodacom. I don’t accept calls from anyone at all - not even family. I’ll reject and call back.

RuhanSA079

Haai, foeitog Vodacom. Missing out on the money hey? Good thing you stopping this. Most of the time when I phone my relatives, I use Whatsapp calls (Ability to add more than one person in the conversation.) But sometimes Whatsapp can't even reach the person, then I just normally call. I wonder what about the other "voip" providers such as Signal? I will not be happy if they surcharge Skype voice calls...

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
For those complaining about WhatsApp call quality issues, perhaps give Google Duo a go.

Swa

Honorary Master
Remember that the other network operators filed the same charges back then. I wonder if they are also going to cancel them now?
Voip was all the rage back then. Typical money grab and then everyone was sitting thinking how they're gonna make it work as the market was already cornered.