Good outdoor knife brands?

Slingshot

Expert Member
I'm looking for a decent folding knife to carry with me for whenever I need a knife. Something simple with one blade, not a whole toolbox in your pocket (although I think Leathermans are cool).

I've looked at Gerber and Gortex (spelling?) knives at an outdoor shop and they've got some goodlooking ones. From what I could gather online, Gerber is a good brand, but the display model in the shop had a bent tip so how strong are they really? And how good is Gortex? What about guarantees?

Any other brands that are good? I know Leatherman makes single-blade folding knives but I'm not willing to pay around R1000 for a knife just yet.

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
Yep, Spyderco is very nice. My dad's also still using the same Kershaw I gave him about 10 years ago.

You'll have to pry my Leatherman from my cold, dead hands though. But their prices have sky-rocketed! :eek:

KSINGH

Executive Member
i saw a knife mag at CNA once. interesting. I read an article about how this guys protected himself and his dogs from some other stray dogs! but i would not buy the mag. for enthusiasts really.

KSINGH

Executive Member
I'd also like to get one that I can always carry on me but I am afraid I might get stuck at the boarding gates and security at an airport. then I'll have to get rid of it somehow. I have a leatherman type of knife at the moment. it aint too bulky but I leave it in the car. I will also check out the Kershaw.

Pitbull

Verboten
Undisputed champion when it comes to pocket knives - Kershaw ;)

I will never buy anything else ever again

Boomstomp

Puma knives >> Kershaw, but a bit more expensive though and difficult to get in SA

Slingshot

Expert Member
Thanks for the info, I've heard a lot about Kershaw and Spyderco before but completely forgot about those brands.