Good speed test, slow everything else

KoerantZA

I am currently running a 100/50 line on Openserve with WebAfrica as my ISP.
Lately at night (I believe this is peak time) I find the connection close to unusable, especially on the PS4 (cannot play online games due to lag and disconnects).

When I go to investigate I run a speed test and I get 80-97 down and 40-50 up which seems perfect. I then go to load a web page and it loads extremely slow. Images take forever to download etc.

I have no idea where the problem lies, is it an ISP problem, is it a provider problem. Anyone experience anything like this before?

Sopbeen

Get a test account from a different ISP and dial it when you have problems. If it works then you have successfully isolated the problem to WA. This would not be the first time that someone complains about WA and capacity during peak time.

KoerantZA

Get a test account from a different ISP and dial it when you have problems. If it works then you have successfully isolated the problem to WA. This would not be the first time that someone complains about WA and capacity during peak time.

That is an excellent idea, thanks for the input.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Webafrica is your problem. You do realize that there is a 300GB fair use policy on the Openserve product right? Also the price you are paying you could have gotten an uncapped unshaped product for a similar price or at least something with a higher cap.

As suggested get a cheap capped account to test. I can guarantee you the issue lies with Webafrica and not with Openserve.

straffe

I am currently running a 100/50 line on Openserve with WebAfrica as my ISP.
Lately at night (I believe this is peak time) I find the connection close to unusable, especially on the PS4 (cannot play online games due to lag and disconnects).

When I go to investigate I run a speed test and I get 80-97 down and 40-50 up which seems perfect. I then go to load a web page and it loads extremely slow. Images take forever to download etc.

I have no idea where the problem lies, is it an ISP problem, is it a provider problem. Anyone experience anything like this before?

Same issue, Diep River - Vox/Openserve, and Constantia - Mweb/Openserve

Kradenko

I am sitting with exactly the same problem. from about 8pm - 10pm last night and now. Massive lag spikes :(

Openserve - WebAfrica - Pretoria :(

cavedog

Honorary Master
I am sitting with exactly the same problem. from about 8pm - 10pm last night and now. Massive lag spikes :(

Openserve - WebAfrica - Pretoria :(

Did you try another ISP as suggested? It's not an Openserve issue just saying.

Venomous

Honorary Master
Only problem is....

Other accounts are not likely to work as unlike ADSL the current ISP has a hold on that line at Openserve/Vumatel/Sadv/Frogfoot/etc level. Meaning other accounts don't really work

cavedog

Honorary Master
Only problem is....

Other accounts are not likely to work as unlike ADSL the current ISP has a hold on that line at Openserve/Vumatel/Sadv/Frogfoot/etc level. Meaning other accounts don't really work

Not sure what you are saying but maybe you are not familiar with Openserve fibre. Openserve fibre works exactly like Openserve adsl. You can use ANY adsl/vdsl or openserve fibre account on the fibre line. You just change the PPPoE username and password. Yes the line and data combo is still with webafrica but you can just change the pppoe details and it will work on any ISP that sells data on Openserve be it adsl or fibre. It's really that simple to diagnose a line fault with Openserve or to even use more than 1 ISP if you want.

With other fibre operators you can't do that.

Sopbeen

Not sure what you are saying but maybe you are not familiar with Openserve fibre. Openserve fibre works exactly like Openserve adsl. You can use ANY adsl/vdsl or openserve fibre account on the fibre line. You just change the PPPoE username and password. Yes the line and data combo is still with webafrica but you can just change the pppoe details and it will work on any ISP that sells data on Openserve be it adsl or fibre. It's really that simple to diagnose a line fault with Openserve or to even use more than 1 ISP if you want.

Probably one of the few advantages of having telkom fibre. I really did enjoy being able to do that.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Probably one of the few advantages of having telkom fibre. I really did enjoy being able to do that.

Indeed. Supersonic had some ipc capacity issues and gave me an extra free month as an apology while they wait for upgrades. I used the saved money from the free month to buy a cybersmart capped account which I was using in the interim. Very nice to be able to just switch in a heartbeat also gives you options to compare latency ect.

Venomous

Honorary Master

I am more familiar with the other fibre operators.

KoerantZA

Was looking through a few ISPs sites and could not find one that has the free trial account. Anyone know where I can find a trial account?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Thanks a lot. Signed up, will test tonight and see.

1GB is not much but when you see slow speeds with Webafrica change to the free gig and to some tests and see how it compares speedwise.