Goodbye Eskom — how much it costs to go off-grid

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member

To take a typical household completely off the grid using solar panels, battery backup, and an inverter will cost between R200,000 and R220,000. This investment will, however, pay for itself in electricity savings.

Many South African households and businesses are looking for ways to protect themselves against blackouts after the latest bout of Eskom load-shedding.

While the power utility promised a reduction in load-shedding from September, it lost the trust of South Africans years ago.

Solitude

Executive Member
I'm hoping to do this early next year. Or well rather, I want to move out of our complex to a normal house and then go off grid. Sick and tired of power problems. Especially in our area. If it's not loadshedding then it's power failures. Screw you Eskom!

Anon313

Hmm. Until they come up with a "law" that we have to pay them a fee to have solar panels/generator.

MightyQuin

Not amused...

To take a typical household completely off the grid using solar panels, battery backup, and an inverter will cost between R200,000 and R220,000. This investment will, however, pay for itself in electricity savings.

Many South African households and businesses are looking for ways to protect themselves against blackouts after the latest bout of Eskom load-shedding.

While the power utility promised a reduction in load-shedding from September, it lost the trust of South Africans years ago.
How many times is this same old schit gonna be re-hashed??

Here we go....gif

TofuMofu

Honorary Master
I'm hoping to do this early next year. Or well rather, I want to move out of our complex to a normal house and then go off grid. Sick and tired of power problems. Especially in our area. If it's not loadshedding then it's power failures. Screw you Eskom!
Do you live in Silverlakes/Equestria area? xD Sounds like where I live lol

And I'm also planning on moving out of the complex and into a freestanding house so that I can install Solar.

Unreal

This sounds like when the Linux guys would try to convince us to ditch Windows.

Technically they were right, but sometimes ignorance is bliss

Martin 007

Gas stove and gas Geyer is a much cheaper option, solar panels are cheaper than a solar geyser. Solar geyser break once a year.

FaSMaN

Expert Member
A typical household uses roughly 30 kWh to 40kWh per day. This means it will require a setup with an average daily solar production of over 40kWh.

One such setup — a Sunsynk 8kW Hybrid PV Kit — is available from Solar Shop for R174,690.

Thats a pretty big short fall, so it will still require power from eskom, especially in the evenings, or am I missing something?

TofuMofu

Honorary Master
Gas stove and gas Geyer is a much cheaper option, solar panels are cheaper than a solar geyser. Solar geyser break once a year.
Yep, I have a gas geyser and stove and my electricity bill is around R250 a month. Gas is around R300+-, but it goes up during the winter because of longer showers lol.

Dick Durham

What about the exorbitant cost of replacing batteries every 4 years? that’s approx R20k minimum.

The solar panels also need to be replaced after 20 years and the depreciation cycle starts all over again.

This is not the perfect solution by any means but it is a solution that gets Eskom out of your life

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Thing is, you don't need an 8kw system off the bat. You can start smaller, with enough backup to handle 2hrs of loadshedding, then add batteries and panels later as you get more money.

Even inverters can be wired in parallel, so you don't need an 8kw one immediately. Just get one that can be paralleled.

AchmatK

Executive Member
Thats a pretty big short fall, so it will still require power from eskom, especially in the evenings, or am I missing something?
I have a similar kit. Just 10.3kw of solar panels on my 8kw sunsynk inverter and 4 x US3000 pylontech batteries and on a clear winter day like today ill get 25kwh from pv and over 60kwh in summer per day.

Batteries lasts me till about 4am in the morning. I will need 12kw of solar panels to generate enough electricity during the winter days and probably one more battery.

Martin 007

I have 3 Kw interter, 2 batteries x 100 amp, 6 x 300 watt solar panels, cost R38 000, very happy, for load shedding during the day its perfect, at night time one needs to take care of the limited power. With a gas stove I am covered for cooking. I would encourage everyone to get a system. Not off grid but at least lights. I honestly have better things to do than worry about when Eskom is load shedding.

squid66

I have exactly this spec of system except for 2 x 7.4kWhr SolarMD batteries running 9 months with no problems so far. The generation quoted is a bit optimistic, in summer you could generate 25-30 kwHr per day if you could actually use all that power once the batteries are charged. In winter, now, im getting 16 kwHr per day, cloudy days barely allow a full battery charge but on average over the year, i buy R100 electricity top up per month on the cheaper prepaid tiers for the cloudy days.

Ashez7

I'm curious to know are your board of trustees against going off the grid what is the reason that you not able to install besides it being a complex? Just curious as I to stay in a complex however we have two houses in our complex that has already gone off the grid.