Goodbye MyBroadband

marlin178

Expert Member
Hi all,

Today is a sad day for me, it's a day that I delete the MyBroadband website from my bookmarks and bid you guys farewell. I've been viewing this site for many years on only joined in 2016 to get involved with this awesome community. I'm not sure how long this post will be up before it's removed but some of my reasons for leaving can be found below.

As we all know, the comments section for articles is now being heavily moderated and as per one of my comments there, it seems to me that the site sponsors / advertisers have put pressure on the staff at MyBroadband to deal with this. I've been one of those who now has to wait for his comments to be "swiftly" moderated before it's posted and it appears that this has happened to me because I called out MyBroadband for their lack of moderation in terms of advertising on their front page - turn off your ad blockers to see what I mean.

In addition to this, think of one of the many DSTV vs Netflix articles and the wrath that DSTV receives in the comments (rightfully so) but on the main page, a DSTV partner content article appears.... makes no sense and seems like the business model here is to please their sponsors and punish their loyal readers who call out their sponsors.

I and many others have realised that the quality of the articles has not only become beyond repetitive but of such poor quality that I've decided to move on to greener pastures, sites where the community can self moderate. The comments being moderated was the nail in the coffin for me.

So in closing, I wish to thank those of you who've commented on my posts, those who've helped me with questions I've posted and for generally being an awesome community.

I wish you all the best for the future.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Hi all,
We all know you're still there, lurking and reading this.
It's not required to greet everyone when you leave y'know.
I have to ask, however, why is it a sad day when you chose to leave? Did you not want to?

3WA

Executive Member
I called out MyBroadband for their lack of moderation in terms of advertising on their front page - turn off your ad blockers to see what I mean.
I have them whitelisted. Don't see anything funky.

seems like the business model here is to please their sponsors and punish their loyal readers who call out their sponsors
Let's test this out. I'm currently seeing a load of Epsom ads.

HP makes better printers than Epsom.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Yeah... can't say i really care about the comments section on the articles... its not part of the forum.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Did the little green triangle on his profile pic give it away?
:laugh:

I was about to suggest... click the 'log out' link under your user name before you turn the light off.

Temujin

Executive Member
We all know you're still there, lurking and reading this.
Lets test this theory...
@OP, if you're reading this and lurking, don't respond... if you aren't reading and lurking, then respond...

We will know shortly:giggle:

3WA

Executive Member
OH NO YOU DIDN'T! :eek:
I did. And I haven't even used an Epsom printer. And I may never, because my HP colorjet has been going strong since 2011 and shows no signs of slowing down. It also has extremely reasonable maintenance costs and is attractively designed.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Honest question. In what year was MyBB not a blog with adverts ? Why must they change their business just becaue you are not happy with it. Since I have been on here they've always been the same. Go start your own business and let your employees dictate how it should be run. You business won't be open for long.

I see the blog and the forum as two separate platforms.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Honest question. In what year was MyBB not a blog with adverts ? Why must they change their business just becaue you are not happy with it. Since I have been on here they've always been the same. Go start your own business and let your employees dictate how it should be run. You business won't be open for long.

I see the blog and the forum as two separate platforms.
It started becoming a business around 2008 somewhere there...