Google acquires Fossil IP to take on Apple smartwatches

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Google acquires Fossil IP to take on Apple smartwatches

Google agreed to acquire smartwatch technology and personnel from Fossil Group Inc. in a bid to boost the search giant’s nascent efforts in the category.

The Alphabet Inc. unit will pay $40 million for Fossil intellectual property, according to a statement from the companies.

[Bloomberg]

Last edited:

wizardofid

Executive Member
But the Apple watch isn't selling well either
The price is the issue.I know my brother had one, and simply stopped using it and replaced it with a fancy sports/survival/camping type watch and he couldn't be happier.

Battery life is my issue, I don't want to have to charge the damn thing every day, secondly smart watches are like cellphones, telling time and is like 3rd or 4th most important aspect of the device.

Honestly, cellphones is to make calls read/write text messages, watches is to tell time, honestly if you can make devices that only does that, you would have an instant sale from me.

C4Cat

Executive Member
The price is the issue.I know my brother had one, and simply stopped using it and replaced it with a fancy sports/survival/camping type watch and he couldn't be happier.

Battery life is my issue, I don't want to have to charge the damn thing every day, secondly smart watches are like cellphones, telling time and is like 3rd or 4th most important aspect of the device.

Honestly, cellphones is to make calls read/write text messages, watches is to tell time, honestly if you can make devices that only does that, you would have an instant sale from me.
If all you want is to tell the time then you have more than enough options when it comes to watches, many don't even need a battery. Not sure why Google would want to make one though.

OCP

Expert Member
If all you want is to tell the time then you have more than enough options when it comes to watches, many don't even need a battery. Not sure why Google would want to make one though.
They don't just want to track your location but want to know exactly what arm movements you make also ;-)

wizardofid

Executive Member