Google advertising new positions in South Africa

McGuywer

Executive Member
Nice.

I didn't know they were at the Campus. Spend many late nights there, Googling Server 2003 issues...
It was in November but you took your jacket and blanket with. Those DC's are cold after a couple of hours.

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
Judging by that South Africa canteen photo, a definite need exists...

...to increase diversity.

PrincessLeeA

Isn't Google the company who fired an engineer for "speech crime"? He said the wrong thing and they took offense and then he had to be fired?
Who wants to work for a company like that? Some people can do it for the money and we normally call them ho's.

WAslayer

Executive Member
Isn't Google the company who fired an engineer for "speech crime"? He said the wrong thing and they took offense and then he had to be fired?
Who wants to work for a company like that? Some people can do it for the money and we normally call them ho's.
If you don't want to work for Google because you don't agree with their terms of employment, no one is forcing you to...

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
@WhiteRaven might be able to get me into Google soon
Apparently, I stand a very good chance coz I'm told I know everything already just based on my trolling the MyBB threads

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
For the little gang of mental midgets here is the link if you can read anything longer than 3 lines.

If you are able to read a lot more than three lines, you will find this at the bottom of that article.

1622554760849.png

That button links to another thread for discussing this:

So perhaps before calling others mental midgets in a gang, make sure you are not the retard.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Rightfully so...
Pichai is right: A biological explanation for sex differences implicitly endorses separation and offers justifications for discrimination. Biological explanations for sex differences create a clear and present danger to inclusion. Thus, Damore’s diversity of ideas was so problematic because it had the potential to limit the diversity of people.

Google faced a crisis with the Damore memo. By responding rapidly, with clear decisiveness, and with thoughtful explanation, Google handled this crisis effectively.

3WA

Honorary Master

You're raising a very good point here. These days, you can’t even know if the company you work for supports free speech or not. They may have seemed okay when you signed the contract, but over time their policies change. The ground shifts right under our feet. That's why you need to be constantly vigilant and make sure your freedoms are not encroached.

I recommend that every quarter, you walk into your boss's office and call them a *****face with a **** for a ****. If you get fired, you know it wasn’t the place for you.

cguy

Executive Member
You'll know better, but isn't working for these big tech giants overrated?
Yes and no. Generally, the concerns I would list are:
- Each group is almost it’s own company. Some of them are very well run, and some of them aren’t.
- The hiring process is weird - often you don’t know which group you will be working for until you start.
- You may have the opportunity to work on ground breaking technology that will influence the rest of the world, or you may find it hard to get out of being the person responsible for doohickey P on widget Q, that nobody could care less about.
- As you get promoted, further promotion can become pretty political. Some engineers just coast when they hit their ceiling. These ceilings are often quite high.

Of course the big thing is though, that if the stars align you get to do groundbreaking technical work with some of the most brilliant people on the planet, and get paid very well for doing it (up to $1.25m/y for a principal engineer, up to $1.75m for distinguished engineer).

Overall, you have to be in a pretty special position to turn down a role or interview at Google.

The roles in SA unfortunately look to be just operational and not technical. Still probably a good opportunity for someone in that space.