Google applies for licence to work with Huawei

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Google applies for licence to work with Huawei

Google has filed an application with the US government to continue providing mobile services to Huawei, the company told German news outlet DPA.

Since being placed on the US Entity List in May 2019, Huawei has been unable to use Google Mobile Services (GMS) on its smartphones launched after this date.

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
Aside from Maps, I don't have to use Google Services at all. Not even the backups via Photos or saving messages to the cloud gets much use from me.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Aside from Maps, I don't have to use Google Services at all. Not even the backups via Photos or saving messages to the cloud gets much use from me.
Well i doubt they base their decisions on a minority.

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
Well i doubt they base their decisions on a minority.
IMO, there's probably a substantial number of people in the same position as me who don't need to use Google's stuff for anything. For years I wanted an Android phone where there was a much more curated store, with only Microsoft services and apps including the launcher and SwiftKey, because at the time that's where I was putting my money thanks to an Office 365 sub.

I'm at the stage where I'd get more value out of Bing or DDG searches than Google, and I would prefer those to be the system defaults (which is one reason why I use the Microsoft Launcher).

If Huawei had to dump GMS entirely and carry on with their Android alternative, which probably has compatibility layers much like Wine to run Android apps, I'd probably give it a shot.

But you have an Android phone?
Yes, and your point is?

Cius

Executive Member
I can work around most google services but so many games require google play services to be installed. That one will be tough to handle. Hope they succeed.

MirageF1

Executive Member
Google has filed an application with the US government to continue providing mobile services to Huawei

Good ^%$^%$ luck! :D

Dolby

Honorary Master
I installed the Huawei app gallery on my Nokia and surprisingly it works well
Also Aptoide.

I've got most the apps installed that I use

Huawei GalleryAptoideNote
WhatsAppYesYes (Trusted)
ChromeNoYes (Trusted)
InstagramNoYes (Trusted)
FacebookYesYes (Trusted)
Facebook MessengerNoYes (Trusted)
News24YesYes (Trusted)
MyBroadbandNoYes (Trusted)
XE CurrencyYesYes (Trusted)
EskomSePushYesYes (Trusted)
DropboxNoYes (Trusted)
AirBNBYesYes (Trusted)Google Services - No Maps
The EntertainerYesYes (Trusted)Google Services - No Maps
SnapSeedNoYes (Trusted)
22SevenYesYes (Trusted)
WazeNoYes (Trusted)
RainBirdNoYes
SpotifyYesYes (Trusted)
EZVIZNoYes (Trusted)
eWeLinkNoYes (Trusted)
BlueOSNoYes (Trusted)

Happy Days

Huawei has already indicated that they're going to stick with their own HMS, even if they're allowed full access to GMS. From Google's pov, they're loosing the 2nd largest phone seller in the world and would want to do everything in their power to prevent that from happening.

Cius

Executive Member
Trump must be loving this. Win win for him. Hurt Google who are very left leaning, and China.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
The whole Huawei ban is incredibly stupid.... There are a hundred other backdoors into US technology...