Google Camera Night Sight great for daytime photos

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Hi guys. Was just playing around and it seems that Gcam Night Sight, while great for taking night pics, is also great for daylight pics also. Below is some examples. What do you think? Do you agree?

Gcam with Night Sight:
IMG_20201117_163906.jpg

Stock Camera:
IMG_20201117_163924.jpg

Gcam with Night Sight
IMG_20201118_125127.jpg

Stock cam
IMG_20201118_125144.jpg

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I can never find a working gcam mod
I also really struggled. I think two things that count in my favour is that I am running Lineage OS and the phone has a Snapdragon 820 in it. Old I know, but Gcam apparently likes the Snapdragon processors.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
One thing I must say though is that it uses a lot of battery. If you use Night Sight or the HDR+ ... wow. Can loose a few percent in a matter of a minute or two and the phone heats up. Think it puts a lot of pressure on the CPU to crunch those enhancement algorithms lol.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Actual Night Time

With Google Cam Night Sight:
IMG_20201118_201158.jpg

With Stock Cam with Night mode:

IMG_20201118_201252.jpg

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
The problem with doing that is that your pictures end up not being very sharp/as sharp as they could have been.
The normal HDR+ mode is good enough 90% of the time, and where night sight would have been better in a day time shot, use the HDR+ enhanced mode (so right-most one with the plus in the circle, depending on GCam version).

Lupus

Honorary Master
Also what phone? My old Nokia 8 sucked at night shots, my Huawei P30 pro though that makes night shots look wow.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
The problem with doing that is that your pictures end up not being very sharp/as sharp as they could have been.
The normal HDR+ mode is good enough 90% of the time, and where night sight would have been better in a day time shot, use the HDR+ enhanced mode (so right-most one with the plus in the circle, depending on GCam version).

Here is the HDR+ version. Phone litterally shut down just after taking it. Keep in mind my phone is old and runs on Snapdragon 820 CPU.

IMG_20201118_203124.jpg

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Also what phone? My old Nokia 8 sucked at night shots, my Huawei P30 pro though that makes night shots look wow.

Golden Oldie, Lenovo Z2 Plus with Snapdragon 820 CPU

Yours with a modded Gcam that works would look wow ... you have wow hardware lol

agustino

Hi guys. Was just playing around and it seems that Gcam Night Sight, while great for taking night pics, is also great for daylight pics also. Below is some examples. What do you think? Do you agree?

Gcam with Night Sight:
View attachment 955211

Stock Camera:
View attachment 955213

Gcam with Night Sight
View attachment 955215

Stock cam
View attachment 955217
How can i get google camera?I tried to install from normal store but it is not nice as photos i see

Is it possible to install in any phone or on google pixel

I would appreciate for best solutions

Have a nice day

The_Hobbit

Honorary Master

Milano

Honorary Master
With gcam losing the shadow detail and life/pop. Without though the highlights are badly blown out. That said the gcam shot can quickly be fixed in post.

Screenshot_20201119_065352.jpg

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master
+1 One thing Nokia 8 is not known for is it's camera.
Was supposed to be as it had zeiss lens and such. But overall that phone also had horrible battery life, the OIS on the camera would go wonky so it looked heat waves, had to shake the phone for that to stabilize.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
How can i get google camera?I tried to install from normal store but it is not nice as photos i see

Have a nice day

Google is stingy with Gcam app. They reserve it for the Google Pixel phones. I was lucky to find a Gcam mod which works with Lineage OS and I think the fact that my phone has a Snapdragon CPU helps.
Tried to install Gcam for the BF last night after he was really impressed by the results. He has a Samsung running stock firmware and could not find a Gcam APK that works. It just refuses to install.

Milano

Honorary Master

Have a nice day
It really depends on your phone model. Some phones like the Huawei P-series for example would not benefit from a gcam mod as their algorithms are already equal or superior to that offered by a gcam mod.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
It really depends on your phone model. Some phones like the Huawei P-series for example would not benefit from a gcam mod as their algorithms are already equal or superior to that offered by a gcam mod.

Really?