Google Camera Night Sight great for daytime photos

Milano

Honorary Master
Well it would be subjective as it would be open to different opinions. Gcam is just a software mod when installed on a non Google phone so it would remain comparable to the software algorithms and software enhancements used by other manufacturers. Huawei P-series phones have a good reputation in that department.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Well it would be subjective as it would be open to different opinions. Gcam is just a software mod when installed on a non Google phone so it would remain comparable to the software algorithms and software enhancements used by other manufacturers. Huawei P-series phones have a good reputation in that department.
So you saying the modded Gcam APK's dont have the real Google algorithms and software processing?

Milano

Honorary Master
So you saying the modded Gcam APK's dont have the real Google algorithms and software processing?

No not at all, was just saying they are not necessarily superior in all instances so it depends on phone model whether it is worth installing.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
No not at all, was just saying they are not necessarily superior in all instances so it depends on phone model whether it is worth installing.

Oh OK. Well, on my phone it is worth it. But I am very aware of the battery it chows. If I were to go hiking and take lots of photos with Gcam my battery will die pretty quickly I think lol. Will have to take a battery pack with.

Suspect99

Executive Member
I use Gcam on my Mi 9T pro. The HDR enhanced photos look better to my untrained eye. I havent tried night sight in the day though

Milano

Honorary Master
Oh OK. Well, on my phone it is worth it. But I am very aware of the battery it chows. If I were to go hiking and take lots of photos with Gcam my battery will die pretty quickly I think lol. Will have to take a battery pack with.

Yes definitely better for you, your samples show over-exposure using your stock camera in bright scenes.

Milano

Honorary Master
How can i get google camera?I tried to install from normal store but it is not nice as photos i see

Is it possible to install in any phone or on google pixel

I would appreciate for best solutions

Have a nice day

"This is a modified Google Camera app, also known as Pixel Camera. Google Camera is the stock camera app shipped on Nexus and Pixel phones from Google. Google's HDR+ technology improves picture quality specially on low and mid end phones."

You can find various ports for other phones here:

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
It really depends on your phone model. Some phones like the Huawei P-series for example would not benefit from a gcam mod as their algorithms are already equal or superior to that offered by a gcam mod.
Pretty sure that statement is false, do note that e.g. the Pixel line-up don't have great cameras, it's the software that makes the image good. What you could argue is that e.g. the color science you could prefer Huawei's one.

Phones that are not running a modern Qualcomm sock I'd say are iffy since a lot of the stuff used by Google's algorithm is based on accelerators on the SoC.

Milano

Honorary Master
Pretty sure that statement is false, do note that e.g. the Pixel line-up don't have great cameras, it's the software that makes the image good. What you could argue is that e.g. the color science you could prefer Huawei's one.

Phones that are not running a modern Qualcomm sock I'd say are iffy since a lot of the stuff used by Google's algorithm is based on accelerators on the SoC.

I cannot really see any argument here. The gcam mod clearly introduces noise on some phones. Sometimes colour cast as well. And the end result naturally has subjective elements as well. Even those who create the mods agree they work best on low end to mid end phones. I am not sure where we we really disagree. Huawei P-Series have AI enhancement options but also offer the ability to shoot in RAW. Full PRO level controls in PRO mode. That said there are definitely phones that benefit from the gcam mod. But there are some that already produce better photo results without it.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I cannot really see any argument here. The gcam mod clearly introduces noise on some phones. Sometimes colour cast as well. And the end result naturally has subjective elements as well. Even those who create the mods agree they work best on low end to mid end phones. I am not sure where we we really disagree. Huawei P-Series have AI enhancement options but also offer the ability to shoot in RAW. Full PRO level controls in PRO mode. That said there are definitely phones that benefit from the gcam mod. But there are some that already produce better photo results without it.
So your argument is then that the port is bad rather than that Google's camera is not better.

I wouldn't ever install GCam on a Huawei phone, they don't use a Qualcomm chip.

Milano

Honorary Master
So your argument is then that the port is bad rather than that Google's camera is not better.

I wouldn't ever install GCam on a Huawei phone, they don't use a Qualcomm chip.
They can successfully port to Samsung Exynos processors and even Huawei Kirin chips in cases. Yet the issue goes beyond that and is quite a lot to cover. This covers the multitude of issues/reasons that gcam is not all that in more detail than I care to go into:

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
They can successfully port to Samsung Exynos processors and even Huawei Kirin chips in cases. Yet the issue goes beyond that and is quite a lot to cover. This covers the multitude of issues/reasons that gcam is not all that in more detail than I care to go into:

There are ports, yes, but they are not the same, they use a layer to interpret the API request to the SoC, with the SoC not being able to handle the request exactly the same way, which means that it's different to the QC one.
Thing if e.g. NVENC vs the AMD Hardware encoder.

Milano

Honorary Master
There are ports, yes, but they are not the same, they use a layer to interpret the API request to the SoC, with the SoC not being able to handle the request exactly the same way, which means that it's different to the QC one.
Thing if e.g. NVENC vs the AMD Hardware encoder.
And what is the issue with gcam on a pixel phone? Why do they no longer score well in dxomark rankings?

The_Hobbit

Honorary Master
Was supposed to be as it had zeiss lens and such. But overall that phone also had horrible battery life, the OIS on the camera would go wonky so it looked heat waves, had to shake the phone for that to stabilize.
I have had pretty good battery life on mine I must say... maybe I was lucky or I don't know better

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Not the ports. Google camera itself on a Google Pixel phone? Why do they no longer score well in dxomark rankings?
Did you look at how the scoring is done? No ultra wide or super zoom, and Pixel video is meh.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I have had pretty good battery life on mine I must say... maybe I was lucky or I don't know better
I could get maybe a day, whereas my P30pro I charge at night, when I put it back on charge it's at 60%. Whereas the Nokia 8 was at 10% from 6am to 10pm