Google chromcast for tv

@Nerfherder actually made some excellent points as well so for balance lets link the Chromecast:

So I guess it boils down to:
* if you don't want to fiddle in any way at all and/or you care about DSTV - go with the Nova
* if you happy to fiddle a minimal amount and/or you don't care about DSTV - go with the Chromecast

@Nerfherder actually made some excellent points as well so for balance lets link the Chromecast:

So I guess it boils down to:
* if you don't want to fiddle in any way at all and/or you care about DSTV - go with the Nova
* if you happy to fiddle a minimal amount and/or you don't care about DSTV - go with the Chromecast
To add :

If he needs ports like USB and Ethernet - go with Nova
If he needs additional storage - go with Nova
If he needs Dolby Vision & Atmos - go with Chromecast

That Nova is a great price. I haven't played around with one but would definitely check it out.

I was worried about not having a LAN port but haven't had issues with the WIFI on the CromeCast. I also haven't played media files so its not a massive thing for me either.

Ok I want one that can stream dstv via the dstv app

Chromecast can't do that ?

Is the Nova much better than the Skyworth, Skyworth is a little cheaper.
Off the bat for R200.00 more :
  • 8GB Storage (vs 16GB on the Nova)
  • Android 10 (vs Android 11 on the Nova)
  • S905X2 (vs S905Y4 on the Nova)
  • No AV1 codec (vs AV1 on the Nova)
I personally would stay away from any S905 chip that doesn't support AV1

I think it's the processor so I would guess the Nova's processor is much better.
What does this mean ?
The number at the end is the generation
  • S905X / X2 / X3 / X4
  • S905Y / Y2 / Y3 / Y4
The X is slightly faster than the Y in the same generation - but you wouldn't even notice the difference in the real world. The reason is that Y was initially meant for dongles and lower consumption, but a bit slower because of that.
Only the 4th generation chips support hardware decoding of AV1 - and that's going to be a mandatory (is already?) requirement by Google

Whether you care about the speed increase, AV1 or even Android 10 vs 11 - why would you purposely go and buy an older unit with older OS?
Why risk the fact that Google may not update your Android box because you chose to save R200.00?

If it was me, I'd just buy a new unit with a 4th gen processor. Ematic, Mi S, Maverick, Skyworth all have older CPU

I need something simple and easy to use I'm getting old :ROFL: and technology seems to be improving at a faster rate than I can keep up with

Ok I want one that can stream dstv via the dstv app

Chromecast can't do that ?

Go with the Nova my chana :) just less headache. You technically can get the app to work on the Chromecast but it requires fiddling...

I'm suspecting that perfect might be the enemy of good in this scenario.

Does anyone know if alternative remotes work with these? R550 replacement cost :-/

I bought 2nd hand first gen Chromecast in 2016 if I recall year correctly. Still works to cast everything I need which is just YT and netflix so not sure why to upgrade tbh. Am I missing something ? If it bombs out, I will probably go for same version as it is likely to be sold for 200 rands or less now.. I mean second hand of course.

I bought 2nd hand first gen Chromecast in 2016 if I recall year correctly. Still works to cast everything I need which is just YT and netflix so not sure why to upgrade tbh. Am I missing something ? If it bombs out, I will probably go for same version as it is likely to be sold for 200 rands or less now.. I mean second hand of course.
No thanks a dedicated interface and remote is superior.

Just started using my Chromecast again. Is there any way to block YouTube ads? I have adblock on my chrome browser but the ads still play on the TV when I cast.

How is streaming on Chromecast from DSTV for you guys? Was trying via the DSTV app yesterday and it glitches most of the time and takes many efforts before getting it right.

If you're going to leverage pirate content, the Nova is the way to go as it has 16GB internal storage with microSD expansion.

My Chromecasts run out of storage when using apps like AceStream and Stremio.

Back