Google closes $1.1-billion deal with HTC

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
HTC built some excellent devices... i can see the appeal to google.
I can too.. but it is in some ways reminiscent of the Motorola deal... and that didn't end well for Google....

I'm hoping a bit more due-diligence has been done this time.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Why confused..
Samsung are merely a client. This deal brings a team of hardware designers into the fold at Google itself specifically for the Pixel phones.
They've partnered together on many things before.

I can too.. but it is in some ways reminiscent of the Motorola deal... and that didn't end well for Google.....
They got the patents they wanted and needed to save android. So it did end well.

Last edited:

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
They've partnered together on many things before.

They got the patents they wanted and needed to save android. So it did end well.
They're still clients or partners... Samsung wouldn't sell to Google.

As for the patents, it cost them a bloody fortune so financially it was NOT a good move (however much you worship at Sergeys feet)

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
They're still clients or partners... Samsung wouldn't sell to Google.

As for the patents, it cost them a bloody fortune so financially it was NOT a good move (however much you worship at Sergeys feet)
Not really...

https://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/01/29/did-google-really-lose-on-its-original-motorola-deal/

Now, Google is selling Motorola Mobility — primarily the handset business, along with a few patents — for $2.9 billion. So we’re at about $3.2 billion Google paid.
It’s worth noting a few more things. In a regulatory filing in 2012, Google disclosed that it valued Motorola’s overall “patents and developed technology” at about $5.5 billion.
They got to keep Motorola's ATAP division aswell.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Except that is merely Googles claim and has never been tested in court... as the article states further down when MS beat Motorola in a patent licensing dispute and the $4bn a year Motorla was claiming was knocked down to $1.8m...

On that basis, Googles patents would only be worth around $2.4m per year.