Google drive mounted in Windows/Linux

cavedog

Honorary Master
They do say they will be migrating existing clients over so I hope they keep the storage as is. Wow what a disappointment :(

Nimz

Executive Member
Apparently shared drives are still unlimited - so have your main account as is and create a shared drive for hoarding

Unless I read wrong?

Reactions: Yuu

cavedog

Honorary Master
Here is a video on how to use Colab servers to move torrents to gdrive.

Works well and it's free but they limit you to 108GB storage on the google instance but other than that it works :)

Reactions: Yuu

cavedog

Honorary Master
I've noticed that traffic now goes to France or The Netherlands vis Google transit where it used to end in JHB. Speeds are still pretty good.

I also managed to get a 5TB Onedrive account for cheap. Very nice although uploads to Onedrive is slow streaming downloading from it is pretty fast and it's also all local. :)

ItherNiT

Anyone here have a Hetzner dedicated machine?

How's the plex/emby speeds(to ZA)?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Anyone here have a Hetzner dedicated machine?

How's the plex/emby speeds(to ZA)?

Had one before. Did not try that. I just play it directly from the drive. Much better local traffic so no buffering.

Hetzner peers with some ISPs at DE-CIX if they have a presence at that exchange however it's still about 180ms or so away.

cavedog

Honorary Master

You get a 90 day E5 dev sub for free. That basically includes 25 x 5TB one drive accounts. Also allow cool stuff like office download ect.

You need to use it for Dev so there is some ways to extend it past the 92 days which can be tried.

Anyways works well with rclone mounts. :)

bar1

Expert Member
i see google changed their accounts and pricing.
what account will give me the unlimited storage?
i am using a dodgy ebay account, but thinking about going legit.....
maybe some of you guys wanna share an enterprise account?

cavedog

Honorary Master
i see google changed their accounts and pricing.
what account will give me the unlimited storage?
i am using a dodgy ebay account, but thinking about going legit.....
maybe some of you guys wanna share an enterprise account?

Yeah you can't get the old gsuite accounts anymore.

The issue is not what you load on the drive is what you do with it. These drives that are sold on ebay ect people buy them to upload pirate content and then share it on DDL sites. Those sites max the transfer limits of 10TB per day so it goes on like that for a while and I bet they also get quite a bit of dmca takedown notices and then Google just trashes the whole drive or account.

Google is a US company so they will comply with DMCA takedown notices and they don't hesitate especially if that account has a ton of shared drives generated.

The only solution now is the Workspace custom plan I believe and it's significantly more expensive that the legacy gsuite account. I think I pay around 9 Euro per month for my account still.

Skankhunt

Expert Member
Yea, I think the unlimited G-suite accounts as well as when Google Photos was unlimited for free, was like a loss-funded growth-hack to get more market share in the cloud storage industry.

So long term, best just to go for a premium product from the start and plan based on that... Theoretically cloud storage should become cheaper over time.

Nimz

Executive Member
They aren't enforcing limits on all current gsuite accounts yet?