Google drive mounted in Windows/Linux

cavedog

Honorary Master
Right @cavedog

HALP PLSE!

There is an issue with that addon in kodi.

Myself an @Yuu was batling with it also. For example if you install rclone on a pc and mount the drive then use the NFS option in Kodi and stream from the gdrive mounted drive on the computer over the local network it works fine.

I'm not sure if this is Google throttling the speeds of the API's or if this is an addon issue but I have noticed the same issue with google drive when mounted with rclone.

I don't see the same behaviour with international servers. If the google drive is mounted on an international server and then you stream from it through the server there isn't any speed issues.

Packet-Kollector

So I struggled on and off for a few "sittings" of catching up in Plex. If something was being sucky, I gave up, ensured not to try again for at least 30 seconds (I could see the RClone TCP connection die) and retry. It would open up and try streaming again from another IP, and be perfect.

There is an issue with that addon in kodi.

Myself an @Yuu was batling with it also. For example if you install rclone on a pc and mount the drive then use the NFS option in Kodi and stream from the gdrive mounted drive on the computer over the local network it works fine.

I'm not sure if this is Google throttling the speeds of the API's or if this is an addon issue but I have noticed the same issue with google drive when mounted with rclone.

I don't see the same behaviour with international servers. If the google drive is mounted on an international server and then you stream from it through the server there isn't any speed issues.

GDrive on kodi was fixed by disabling http2 in the advanced settings earlier in the year, getting the same issue using VLC to play via File Stream on my PC as well.

I'm not sure if this is Google throttling this kind of use because it only happens in the evenings, it's working right now.

Reactions: Yuu

cavedog

Honorary Master
GDrive on kodi was fixed by disabling http2 in the advanced settings earlier in the year, getting the same issue using VLC to play via File Stream on my PC as well.

I'm not sure if this is Google throttling this kind of use because it only happens in the evenings, it's working right now.

Definitely seeing degraded speed in ZA.

It's starting to slow down now and I have the exact same Google drive mounted with the exact same credentials using the exact rclone config on a server in The Netherlands.

ZA is slow but The Netherlands server is fast.

Definitely seeing degraded speed in ZA.

It's starting to slow down now and I have the exact same Google drive mounted with the exact same credentials using the exact rclone config on a server in The Netherlands.

ZA is slow but The Netherlands server is fast.

Yet mine worked perfectly last night on my kodi so who the **** knows.

Things changed:
Turned on VPN on PC, although I was watching on my Shield so doubt this was it. But could Google be detecting traffic from the PC and categorize you?
Long reboot of router due to loadshedding, maybe different IP?
Booted a whole bunch of people with access to the drive, only like 10 had access but maybe this enforces a limit?

Not saying it's any of that though, just guesses that other people can try verify.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Yet mine worked perfectly last night on my kodi so who the **** knows.

Things changed:
Turned on VPN on PC, although I was watching on my Shield so doubt this was it. But could Google be detecting traffic from the PC and categorize you?
Long reboot of router due to loadshedding, maybe different IP?
Booted a whole bunch of people with access to the drive, only like 10 had access but maybe this enforces a limit?

Not saying it's any of that though, just guesses that other people can try verify.

I did some tests as speeds seem to slow down now with gdrive.

Streamed a video from my server hosted in The Netherlands which has the google drive mounted with rclone.

Screenshot 2022-06-23 184928.png

Now started streaming the same video hosted on the same google drive but this time mounted on a locally hosted (JHB) server and I'm 2ms from this server.

Screenshot 2022-06-23 185107.png

Look at the differece in Google drive download speeds NL vs ZA. It's huge. Both Oracle servers are exactly the same spec. 200GB SSD. 4 x ACPU, 24GB ram and 4Gbps connection up and down.

I did some tests as speeds seem to slow down now with gdrive.

Streamed a video from my server hosted in The Netherlands which has the google drive mounted with rclone.

View attachment 1334886

Now started streaming the same video hosted on the same google drive but this time mounted on a locally hosted (JHB) server and I'm 2ms from this server.

View attachment 1334888

Look at the differece in Google drive download speeds NL vs ZA. It's huge. Both Oracle servers are exactly the same spec. 200GB SSD. 4 x ACPU, 24GB ram and 4Gbps connection up and down.

Bear with me I know nothing about hosting.

What are you using to show that streaming speed so I can take a look at what I get? Don't know how to see it in vlc and task manager network usage is useless for this, I doubt I can find a way to see the data rate on android TV kodi either.

Probably a stupid question but I assume the data is physically here in South Africa, they're not going to mirror it across the planet for a random gdrive user? So you're accessing data held in SA from the Netherlands faster than from down the road basically?

How does your local server connect to Google, is it via afrihost?

So does that not point to the Google "server" local connection, either afrihost or everyone, to the rest of SA being congested?

Is anyone on here experiencing these issues NOT on afrihost?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Bear with me I know nothing about hosting.

What are you using to show that streaming speed so I can take a look at what I get? Don't know how to see it in vlc and task manager network usage is useless for this, I doubt I can find a way to see the data rate on android TV kodi either.

Probably a stupid question but I assume the data is physically here in South Africa, they're not going to mirror it across the planet for a random gdrive user? So you're accessing data held in SA from the Netherlands faster than from down the road basically?

How does your local server connect to Google, is it via afrihost?

So does that not point to the Google "server" local connection, either afrihost or everyone, to the rest of SA being congested?

Is anyone on here experiencing these issues NOT on afrihost?

I use the free Oracle vps to host a plex server. I have an instance in The Netherlands and South Africa.

The panel I use on these servers are https://swizzin.ltd/ but there are many others like Plex Guide, Sudobox, Saltbox etc.

Neo_X

Expert Member
Also suffering from slow rclone / google drive speeds. Also tested a direct download from google drive tonight (single file), and was in the 100mbps region.

really hoping this is temporary :( -> sitting with a large amount of ubuntu ISO's that cannot go anywhere else.

will try to route via a vpn, but to find one that gives the speed needed...ouch.

can anyone recommend a feasible plex online streaming server (need to handle 30 plus streams howeveR)

then i can easily move away from the SA slowness

ItherNiT

Also suffering from slow rclone / google drive speeds. Also tested a direct download from google drive tonight (single file), and was in the 100mbps region.

really hoping this is temporary :( -> sitting with a large amount of ubuntu ISO's that cannot go anywhere else.

will try to route via a vpn, but to find one that gives the speed needed...ouch.

can anyone recommend a feasible plex online streaming server (need to handle 30 plus streams howeveR)

then i can easily move away from the SA slowness
Hetzner will probably be your best bet, if you want transcoding on those streams (you need to go intel if you want fast transcoding). With the current exchange rate you looking at around R750+- a month. I'm pretty happy with my server with them.

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
Could you share a guide to create a plex server on the oracle vps?

My setup is pretty simple.

Oracle VPS. You can get it for free at https://www.oracle.com/cloud/free/

You get 200GB storage, 4Gbps with 12TB egress which is currently not enforced so unlimited for now, 4 ACPU's which is the Arm based processors and 24GB of RAM. I'm not even mentioning the other instances you can get for free because it's trash compared to the Arm instance when all the apps and software supports Arm anyways.

Once you have it fire up swiziin install with the one line command. Select which apps you need.

nginx, panel, ffmpeg, plex or jellyfin and other apps you might like like rclone, sonarr, radarr, prowlarr etc. I also run rdtclient. https://github.com/rogerfar/rdt-client

It allows you to use Real Debrid instead of using torrents. Really cool because most stuff is cahced anyways so you can hit that 4Gbps (439MB/s) download speed and with an rclone mount using the vfs cache flags to control the cache it uploads to gdrive very fast too. Not sure about ZA because it's been slowish but new content release in off peak times anyways so should be good to go.

callen

My setup is pretty simple.

Oracle VPS. You can get it for free at https://www.oracle.com/cloud/free/

You get 200GB storage, 4Gbps with 12TB egress which is currently not enforced so unlimited for now, 4 ACPU's which is the Arm based processors and 24GB of RAM. I'm not even mentioning the other instances you can get for free because it's trash compared to the Arm instance when all the apps and software supports Arm anyways.

Once you have it fire up swiziin install with the one line command. Select which apps you need.

nginx, panel, ffmpeg, plex or jellyfin and other apps you might like like rclone, sonarr, radarr, prowlarr etc. I also run rdtclient. https://github.com/rogerfar/rdt-client

It allows you to use Real Debrid instead of using torrents. Really cool because most stuff is cahced anyways so you can hit that 4Gbps (439MB/s) download speed and with an rclone mount using the vfs cache flags to control the cache it uploads to gdrive very fast too. Not sure about ZA because it's been slowish but new content release in off peak times anyways so should be good to go.
Thank you so so much. I'm going to sign up now and try this