Google has colonized my iPhone

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Apple are leechers, sucking info and tech from other sources and claiming as their own.

Cassady

Expert Member
Interesting article:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/12/11666614/gboard-google-colonized-my-iphone

I also have an iPhone, but everything I do is with the Google-world, contacts, email, calendar, photos...

You are clearly OK with this bit:

"Apple CEO Tim Cook has made the argument before that part of the value customers derive from his company's products is privacy. Apple doesn't suck up your personal data and sell it to advertisers because it's found a nice business as the most profitable corporation in history mostly by selling hardware.

If you are the kind of person who is offended or frightened by the idea that a big company is tracking everything you say and do, Google apps are not a good fit. Personally, I'm okay with exchanging that information for a suite of software tools that fits my life. Now excuse me, I have some risqué emoji to search for."

Me, not so much.

I try and avoid Google as much as possible because of that. I know it's virtually impossible. I know it's virtually futile in this day and age, barring you pulling out a Nokia 3520, and moving into a cave, but still... And nope, I have nothing to hide - it just bugs me that I am the product for somebody else...

Each to their own though. No doubt - if one is "all in" with Google, it must be almost magical, all that can be done. But ja - there's always the other side to everything...

konfab

Honorary Master
You are clearly OK with this bit:

"Apple CEO Tim Cook has made the argument before that part of the value customers derive from his company's products is privacy. Apple doesn't suck up your personal data and sell it to advertisers because it's found a nice business as the most profitable corporation in history mostly by selling hardware.

Apple's business model doesn't rely on selling data, however it doesn't mean they don't collect it. They collect just as much data as Google and Facebook. They just haven't figured out how to make more money that Google already does with it. My tinfoil hat sensors point to something like this (link).

Cassady

Expert Member
Apple's business model doesn't rely on selling data, however it doesn't mean they don't collect it. They collect just as much data as Google and Facebook. They just haven't figured out how to make more money that Google already does with it. My tinfoil hat sensors point to something like this (link).

Agreed - they certainly collect troves of data -they would be silly not to. But 'privacy' is increasingly being touted by Apple as being the thing that distinguishes it from Google. Google we know sells our data to 3rd parties. Apple, for now, has no reason to do this. That doesn't mean they won't at some future time – simply that they're not doing it right now.

And at least with Tim Cook at the helm, I sincerely believe that they won't be doing that. It's not where Apple makes their money, nor will it be. Furthermore, just because the likes of Google and Facebook make money off using your data, does not necessarily mean that Apple or other companies would have to do the same.

Again, this is not a dig at Google – anyone who uses their services, no doubt should know that they use your data. And that's fine. It's just something that can make certain people uncomfortable.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure they know how to make money from the data collect, they're just choosing not to go down that road.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Just cut out the middle man and go for Android

Well there is no real middleman, you go directly to the service, not the device running it.

Android is as "third party" with regards to Google Services as iOS is really when you think about it.

Short of Google's own phones and even then it's much of a muchness really.

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
Not just apps, Apple is also running on Google. Apple's cloud data is already running/saved on google's data centers. When you sync your photos to the iCloud, it's actually reciding on google's datacenters.

mjwitter

Agreed - they certainly collect troves of data -they would be silly not to. But 'privacy' is increasingly being touted by Apple as being the thing that distinguishes it from Google. Google we know sells our data to 3rd parties. Apple, for now, has no reason to do this. That doesn't mean they won't at some future time – simply that they're not doing it right now.

And at least with Tim Cook at the helm, I sincerely believe that they won't be doing that. It's not where Apple makes their money, nor will it be. Furthermore, just because the likes of Google and Facebook make money off using your data, does not necessarily mean that Apple or other companies would have to do the same.

Again, this is not a dig at Google – anyone who uses their services, no doubt should know that they use your data. And that's fine. It's just something that can make certain people uncomfortable.
What do you mean by "sells our data to 3rd parties"? As far as I understand it, Google uses its data to decide which ads to show to which user. I don't believe a 3rd party has any access to any of the information?

What do you mean by "sells our data to 3rd parties"? As far as I understand it, Google uses its data to decide which ads to show to which user. I don't believe a 3rd party has any access to any of the information?

Well my Facebook shows ads of whatever I've been searching on gumtree and aliexpress, dunno how they get that info, personally I don't care as it stops the endless Openweb ads.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
MS even realized that hardware is a bit too much of an effort, they're a software company and started aggressively pushing out their products to other platforms.

Cassady

Expert Member

Google it! :)

From what I've seen, it's anything but clear that they simply keep it in-house... Certainly post 2014, things appear to have changed a bit. But really depends on what/who you read - so who knows...

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Err...cos I much prefer the iOS walled garden to any High-end Droid experience

Ftfy

Cannot wait for Google io. Hopefully we get some nice surprises.

Google it! :)

From what I've seen, it's anything but clear that they simply keep it in-house... Certainly post 2014, things appear to have changed a bit. But really depends on what/who you read - so who knows...
Lol you think they would tarnish their brand irreplaceably by selling people's data? Get your tin foil hat outta here.

Last edited: