• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • Win an Amazon Echo Dot in this two-day giveaway - Enter Here

Google Home Mini recorded audio all the time

eg2505

Honorary Master
sure its not shocking, as you need to say "ok google" to get it to work,

so it needs to listen out to that phrase in order to do anything.

EDIT: read the article properly now.....

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
it's not a bug, it's a feature.

So... who was watching some juicy pr0nz with google home mini listening in the background? :D

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
(after reading the article) People will say they don't want to push anything, they just want to say "Ok Google" and have the thing respond then...

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
I have seen reports and had experience of seeing targeted ads that seem connected to recent conversations I have had.

E.g.: I had a lengthy conversation with a colleague about his stay in New York using Airbnb. My Android was on the table in front of us the whole time.

Not even an hour later, I went online with my phone and there were targeted ads advertising "Great stylish Airbnb lofts on New York" as well as direct mail from Airbnb advertising "gorgeous", "stylish", "low cost" holidays in NY... all words my colleague had used in his end of the conversation.

This is not even half decent as anecdotal evidence goes but on more that one occasion I've been left quite creeped out by this type of occurrence.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
I have seen reports and had experience of seeing targeted ads that seem connected to recent conversations I have had.

E.g.: I had a lengthy conversation with a colleague about his stay in New York using Airbnb. My Android was on the table in front of us the whole time.

Not even an hour later, I went online with my phone and there were targeted ads advertising "Great stylish Airbnb lofts on New York" as well as direct mail from Airbnb advertising "gorgeous", "stylish", "low cost" holidays in NY... all words my colleague had used in his end of the conversation.

This is not even half decent as anecdotal evidence goes but on more that one occasion I've been left quite creeped out by this type of occurrence.
next time, blow some choice raspberries at your android device then :p :D

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot

Facebook App.

Thor

Honorary Master
What BS is this, this is pretty standard stuff - your android phone records 24/7. Thought this was common knowledge.

zAAm

(after reading the article) People will say they don't want to push anything, they just want to say "Ok Google" and have the thing respond then...
The issue is here that is gets transmitted to Google servers all the time. These devices usually have a tiny bit of offline processing power capable of recognising the "turn-on" phrase, e.g. "OK Google", and then all subsequent audio is sent to Google servers for translation of more advanced sentences. The point is that until you say that phrase, it should not continuously send audio to Google.

Last edited:

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
No app, don't even have FB account.

What BS is this, this is pretty standard stuff - your android phone records 24/7. Thought this was common knowledge.
Forgive me, new to Android. But what BS is this, I'm fairly certain I'd have been aware of signing up for transmitting everything I say within range of my phone to Google to use in adverts...

kianm

Executive Member
I mean you can cover your laptop's webcam with tape and all if you are paranoid, but what do you do with a phone that's recording you. Tape and un-tape on incoming calls all day :wtf: :p