"Google Home", will it work in South Africa?

Hunted

Has anyone got musiccast to work with Google assistant in SA?
Hi,

What do you mean by music cast? Google play music or something else... If Google play music then yes you can.

**edit***

Are you refering to a device perhaps?

Last edited:

greatwhite

You mean the Yamaha Musiccast standard?

see here: https://hub.yamaha.com/how-to-use-a...wer: The ability to control,you want it to do.

That said, there could the regional BS courtesy of non-native google home device manufacturers. I would download their (Yamaha) app and google home app and try to link accounts before pushing the button on a purchase.

I can tell you from personal experience devices that won't link to google home in SA but will in 1st world countries:
1. LG appliances (in my case a washing machine - though fortunately that was never part of the buying decision)
2. Sonos speakers (Sonos One got returned to Takealot a few days later despite being otherwise a wonderful little speaker)
3. Samsung TV intergration/support not working with google assistant despite their marketing saying later firmware would (firmware updates rolled out elsewhere in the world), but all you can do is turn the TV off here!

oh1one

I've got a Google Home Mini and that works fine even though I South Africa's not on the list for news content,etc. But it works fine.

Got a Yamaha MusicCast a few months back and have tried changing the app store and Google Play to a non South African country (UK/US) and various VPNs but can't get past the restriction of being in SA.

Almost about to sell my soundbar after owning it for a few months cause of the missing Google Assistant by virtue of being in this country

greatwhite

What pisses me off about this type of thing is that the generic marketing is used SA listing features but they don't work here. if you are 'lucky', there is a clause like "* not all features work on all regions" somewhere tiny on the box otherwise nothing at all.