Google is building a subsea cable from Europe to Cape Town

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Google is building a subsea cable from Europe to Cape Town

Google has announced Equiano, a new private subsea cable which will start in western Europe and run along the West Coast of Africa, between Portugal and Cape Town in South Africa.

The cable will have branching units along the way that can be used to extend connectivity to additional African countries. The first branch is expected to land in Nigeria.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I like this, but this is surely and primary for CDN purposes. This won't boost your Google Stadia performance per se.

system32

Expert Member
For stadia / gaming, Starlink will have lower latency and operational by 2021 (Elon Time)

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I think we're reaching a point where we have too many submarine cables already - especially along western Africa.
Disagree, as fibre becomes more mainstream we going to run out of international bandwidth really fast.

However we do need more east coast Fibre maybe the Chinese and Indians can step in

Obronie

Just think 10 years ago where SA was served with a choice between Telkom ADSL and Telkom ADSL and the one Sat3 cable for international connection. Used to get local only access so much cheaper.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
I would think this is possibly a precursor to Google building out capacity of Google Cloud in the continent...
Or it can be to prevent having to build infrastructure. If they can provide fast connectivity to local users it may enable them to serve African clients from Europe rather than put down DCs in individual African countries.

I would be interested in the high-level reasons of why Google is investing in international telecoms infrastructure. The same with Facebook, for that matter.

jambai

Or it can be to prevent having to build infrastructure. If they can provide fast connectivity to local users it may enable them to serve African clients from Europe rather than put down DCs in individual African countries.

I would be interested in the high-level reasons of why Google is investing in international telecoms infrastructure. The same with Facebook, for that matter.
Feel sorry for the people in Africa’s high cost of internet ?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

This defintely sounds like the more logical and staged approach.

Have the infrastructure first and then provide the DC's as necessary on said infrastructure.

Much like Amazon has been doing for ages, just without their own network to operate it on.

As to why? Well why pay someone else to do it and rely on their expertise and rules and regulations when you can just do it yourself? While also making a profit off it on the side, instead of paying someone else's interconnect charges etc.

Praemon

Expert Member
It's definitely not for Stadia, the latency is too high.
Yeah. They've already mentioned you would need a local Google data center for it work. But as mentioned, hopefully this is a sign that Google will invest in a proper DC locally for all their cloud services, which would then mean Stadia could be launched locally.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master

I'm not thinking full scale Google cloud stuff honestly... At least not soon... More edge based services than anything else, at least for the foreseeable future.

Daruk

Honorary Master
If you thought you could use adblocker to cut Google out of the loop, think again!

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
They'd do that but nobody is connecting the fibre outside the complex to the local loop.

sigh

wingnut771

Executive Member

add 5G and they'll know what the inside of your house looks like.