Google is pulling out of its free Wi-Fi project in SA

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Google is pulling out of its free Wi-Fi project in SA

Google Station, which is Google's global free Wi-Fi programme, is shutting down across the world. This includes its partnership with Think Wi-Fi in South Africa.

"Since we first started, the ecosystem has evolved and combined with complex and varying technical requirements across countries and partners, we have been re-evaluating our plans and have decided to wind down Station through 2020," said Google South Africa.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
It's disappointing that yet another attempt to offer subsidised Wi-Fi has failed in South Africa

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
Probably just grabbed as mutch data as they could for a demographic that they wanted info on. Total speculation, but this was probably the plan all along.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Probably just grabbed as mutch data as they could for a demographic that they wanted info on. Total speculation, but this was probably the plan all along.
No, it's the Google way. Try anything and everything to see if it sticks, if not, fail fast.

Note fail fast also includes writing down what failed, what succeeded and what could be done to improve.

If you look at google graveyard, a majority of their "dead" projects come back in a different form, be it a relaunch with a few new features or incorporated into an existing product.

Apple and Google are both near polar opposites, Apple will keep quiet about anything they do and only launch once they are sure it will succeed, but both companies are moving towards each other's styles, spend more time researching if good for market, and speed up iterations. Software vs hardware philosophies mixing.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Why am I not surprised. Saw the original business plan and it was clear it would not succeed here.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
Why am I not surprised. Saw the original business plan and it was clear it would not succeed here.
I agree to being surprised that their original announcements included an appetite for some very low-income areas in SA.

However they are not killing this based on the SA business plan. They've been doing this in India for a while (with some serious commuter numbers going through the train stations daily) and they were indirectly involved in the NYC project.

entrepr

Expert Member
Shame on you, google.

This is a shocking example of global companies who take an opportunistic p*ss on our poor communities, complete with big announcements and chest-thumping, and then disappear quietly, totally embarrassing and leaving in the lurch the local companies who have invested time and money in this, and abandoning the communities that met with them to plan and discuss.

The cost of this project in SA isn't even a rounding number on their global profits

maumau

Honorary Master
It's global and it's not shutting down. Google is pulling out.

All mentioned in the article.
Usually I don't care about clickbait, I just skip it but this headline is deliberately misleading and should be changed.

We've got enough troubles without inventing them.

Executive Member
If you look at google graveyard, a majority of their "dead" projects come back in a different form, be it a relaunch with a few new features or incorporated into an existing product.
Which projects did this?