Google Maps now remembers where you parked

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
It only remembers if you tell it to do so...

Interesting idea, but one I don't see getting used massively.

bwana

MyBroadband
It only remembers if you tell it to do so...

Interesting idea, but one I don't see getting used massively.
Surely if you can remember to ask Google to remember you can remember where you parked? :confused:

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Surely if you can remember to ask Google to remember you can remember where you parked? :confused:
My thoughts exactly really.

If I have to go through the effort of telling Google "Remember where I parked and putting in the info" then I'll remember it anyway. If it did it on its own, then well that would be a very different story altogether.

Quey_Quick

Expert Member
But Google Now does tell me where I parked. I assume this would be the exact location rather than what I get currently which is an approximation.

Necropolis

Executive Member
This might be interesting in a parking garage...

I forsee google incorrectly remembering where people parked.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Not true. Google Now will automatically remember and tell you where you parked your car.
Very approximately.

It doesn't tell you that you parked on level 3 area G parking space 30.

This "feature" allows you to input that information.

Ianf1

Expert Member
I used the same function on waze, went to the Benoni run on Sunday using waze. Got there when it was dark, then when I went to look for my car afterwards went to the wrong field and hauled out my phone and used waze to find my car.It was brilliant.

rph72

Executive Member
I just take a picture if I'm in doubt. Easy enough to do from the lock screen.
Google Maps also allows you to add a picture which can be shared. Time on the parking meter can be added as well and shows time left.

rph72

Executive Member
Going to the Cheese Festival in Stellenbosch on Friday. Will give it a try.

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
Lost the car in many malls I didn't know.
Especially parking garages. Once lost my car at OR Thambo - I'd dropped someone off and we were late. So we rushed to the check in desk. And when I walked back, my incredible memory could remember the entire Tears in the Rain monologue from Blade Runner, but not where I parked. I spent the next 20 minutes walking around - pressing my car remote.
Wrong level.
Nowadays - I take a photo when I get out of my car. (When I remember to)

BluStorm

“This is in addition to the automatic parking detection you might have noticed in Google Maps for iOS,” said Google.

Funny, I thought it was Apple Maps that was telling me where my car was parked...

Have to admit this does sound like quite an improvement over the basic, if you need it. A little annoying to be reminded where I parked my car at my house though (only on occasion though).

bwana

MyBroadband
“This is in addition to the automatic parking detection you might have noticed in Google Maps for iOS,” said Google.

Funny, I thought it was Apple Maps that was telling me where my car was parked...

Have to admit this does sound like quite an improvement over the basic, if you need it. A little annoying to be reminded where I parked my car at my house though (only on occasion though).
Yeah, you can also ask siri to remember where you parked which is handy since you can do that from your lock screen. I don't see a Google Maps widget which would be handy.