Google Maps starts showing locations of robots

Hanno Labuschagne

MyBroadband
Staff member
Super Moderator
Google Maps starts showing locations of robots

Google is testing a new feature that shows users the locations of traffic lights in its Maps navigation app.

The feature was first spotted by a US-based reader of Droid Life, who was using Google Maps build version 10.44.3.

The reader provided the publication with screenshots of the app showing traffic light icons placed on roads and at intersections when browsing on a map or while in navigation.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
I'm amazed they were never included before, since intersections with traffic lights and stop-streets are fundamental issues when optimising route-planning. Probably one of many reasons I seldom use online maps.

grok

Honorary Master
How do they expect me to make out all the fine detail their maps when I'm driving..? :unsure:

konfab

Honorary Master
Google recently added its Plus Codes feature for users of its Android Maps app.

A Plus Code is a digital address derived from latitude and longitude coordinates which mimics a street address for people who don’t have one.

The code appears as a simple alphanumeric code which can be combined with a locality (for example, 7656+5G, Pretoria, South Africa).

Google said the feature will make it easier to locate around two billion people across the world who don’t have an official living address or one which is hard to locate.

This could be particularly valuable in a country like South Africa, where a large number of people live in informal settlements in rural areas without easily-definable locations.

What3Words is much better than that.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
What has "5G" got to with these codes? :ROFL: :unsure: :eek:

The code appears as a simple alphanumeric code which can be combined with a locality (for example, 7656+5G, Pretoria, South Africa).

rustypup

Expert Member
Your non-SA readers will perhaps be a little . . . :notworthy: . . . right now.
When gearing up for a showdown with Skynet, you really do need to be prepared...

T1000 spotted stealing biker gear. Corner of Malbongwe and Northumberland....

"D"

Expert Member
When gearing up for a showdown with Skynet, you really do need to be prepared...

T1000 spotted stealing biker gear. Corner of Malbongwe and Northumberland....
Always wondered where that bar and grill was located!

Last edited: