Google Nexus 7 in South Africa: pricing and launch details

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Considering the overseas prices of $250, €250 and £200 for the 16GB model, those prices are crap even by our standards.

narf23

I purchased from US when it was released and total cost was R3400 which included shipping and customs.

I feel these prices are reasonable.

holler

Does this mean we get Play store full access in SA or do you still have to go through obscure rituals to get it to work with the videos and music?

eshwar

Does this mean we get Play store full access in SA or do you still have to go through obscure rituals to get it to work with the videos and music?
Videos and music are USA only so you just need a VPN to get to those.

In general, seeing that $ 250 is R 2400 (after including VAT), R 600 for profit and transport isn't so bad! Seeing that it will cost about R 500 to ship it yourself. Plus guaranteed excellent Asus support!

zamicro

Expert Member
This is excellent news! Hopefully we will now get more accessories available to us.

PS: I think the R3090 is a reasonable price, although I think a price of R2999 or less would have appealed to a lot more customers.

Avenue

Expert Member
Videos and music are USA only so you just need a VPN to get to those.

In general, seeing that $ 250 is R 2400 (after including VAT), R 600 for profit and transport isn't so bad! Seeing that it will cost about R 500 to ship it yourself. Plus guaranteed excellent Asus support!
It isn't bad, but surely the local distributors dont pay retail costs, so Im sure you can add $100 at least onto their profit margins.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
Nice prices but Win8 tabs are only a month away.

I will pass.
Windows Tablets are different devices to the Nexus and nothing will stop you (Bar your wallet) from getting both.

Nexus is more like a reader that can play games and is better for use when catching up on a book at night in bed where as the Windows tablet is more of a mini PC.

Avenue

Expert Member
Windows Tablets are different devices to the Nexus and nothing will stop you (Bar your wallet) from getting both.

Nexus is more like a reader that can play games and is better for use when catching up on a book at night in bed where as the Windows tablet is more of a mini PC.
also you can add what, a grand onto the cost for an OS- thanks, I'll pass.

Executive Member
How do you justify over R200 for an extra 8GB of storage? I can buy a 16GB USB stick for less than R100...

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
How do you justify over R200 for an extra 8GB of storage? I can buy a 16GB USB stick for less than R100...
Simple, Google wanted to push for Cloud use or better put a Google Play device. Also the reason why it does not come with memory card slot and USB host ports.

They where aiming to compete against the Kindle Fire/Amazon as a Android/Google Play device, and not compete against the Samsung galaxy tabs and so on. Adding 32+ gig of space makes it more of a local entertainment device and less of a doorway to the cloud.

lordrage

So esquire is the cheapest, is that an INCL VAT price? If so, since its now public knowledge of their price, can I just go there without an account to purchase? If not why is their price listed there?

Avenue

Expert Member
So esquire is the cheapest, is that an INCL VAT price? If so, since its now public knowledge of their price, can I just go there without an account to purchase? If not why is their price listed there?
I may be wrong, but as far as I understand it, you need an account, but anyone can get an account.

lordrage

I may be wrong, but as far as I understand it, you need an account, but anyone can get an account.
Just seems a bit wrong then, nothing against esquire, they sell great products, but its like saying well rectron etc sell x for Rx and you have to have an account, regardless of how easy it may be, just doesnt seem right. My opinion, and I may be wrong, but yeah :)

Avenue

Expert Member
Just seems a bit wrong then, nothing against esquire, they sell great products, but its like saying well rectron etc sell x for Rx and you have to have an account, regardless of how easy it may be, just doesnt seem right. My opinion, and I may be wrong, but yeah :)
Well I suppose its more like makro where you need a makro card to buy anything, but its more of a formality than anything else. Someone else needs to confirm this though.

Viva

Expert Member
Prices seem somewhat inflated. If got mine from the UK and paid 199 pounds. It translated to about R2600.

I remember that SA had the cheapest iPads in the world a while back with the iPad 2. There really is no reason for our prices to be higher. But this is a great buy anyway.