Google One now available in South Africa

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Google One now available in South Africa

Google has rolled out its Google One cloud storage service to users in South Africa, with storage capacity options ranging between 15GB and 30TB.

The Google One subscription programme offers increased Drive storage in addition to a number of other features, including live support and special deals in the Google Store.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I used to have a paid Google Drive account, until a period where I uploaded some films for a family member who had a heavily shaped connection and couldn't torrent on their side. Most of them got a little error icon after a few hours, with hover text stating that the file may be copyrighted and sharing has been disabled.

F**k off Google. Go scan someone else's files. Moved to OneDrive and haven't had an issue of any description since. Great Windows 10 integration too.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I used to have a paid Google Drive account, until a period where I uploaded some films for a family member who had a heavily shaped connection and couldn't torrent on their side. Most of them got a little error icon after a few hours, with hover text stating that the file may be copyrighted and sharing has been disabled.

F**k off Google. Go scan someone else's files. Moved to OneDrive and haven't had an issue of any description since. Great Windows 10 integration too.
And DropBox?

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
And DropBox?
Isn't secure. Also, Office 365 is an insane package overall. Especially if you buy 12 months at a time for R250-350 from Carbonite, OLX and Gumtree. I'm loaded up until 2022.

RaptorSA

Expert Member

WTF. If that's the case then no thank you.
Years ago when Microsoft's cloud storage was still a thing and every second person still had a hotmail account they booted my entire hotmail account after using it for like 10 years. Still not sure why. I have a feeling I had some lame old pronz tucked away in an old documents folder that I backed and they picked it up... Tried everything I can to recover the account only to find out they didn't support account recovery in SA.

Needless to say I lost all old document attachments, tax certificates etc. etc. for years. Took me ages to recover from that.

gamer16

Honorary Master

Hmm, I share the odd thing or 2 in that way, they never caught me although I do tend to murder the file extension just in case.

For eg: How Kim became Famous.xfghdfhbsdgzsdfgbdbgd

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
WTF. If that's the case then no thank you.
Years ago when Microsoft's cloud storage was still a thing and every second person still had a hotmail account they booted my entire hotmail account after using it for like 10 years. Still not sure why. I have a feeling I had some lame old pronz tucked away in an old documents folder that I backed and they picked it up... Tried everything I can to recover the account only to find out they didn't support account recovery in SA.

Needless to say I lost all old document attachments, tax certificates etc. etc. for years. Took me ages to recover from that.
The risk of that happening nowadays must be slim to none. Microsoft has great customer service for their 365 customers. And Outlook email addresses are much more usable than Hotmail ones.

Your angry because they're not allowing you to pirate?
It is unacceptable to scan your users' files that way. End of story.

On an unrelated note, I care zero for pirating films given the sorry state of legal distribution. Releases are frequently delayed by months, prices are nuts for streaming new stuff and Hollywood is very stingy with the syndication of major releases to streaming services. I don't pirate music, books, games, comic books and TV shows because they have great legal options.

kolaval

Expert Member
It is unacceptable to scan your users' files that way. End of story.
1. Seems like they are scanning your files as well?

1558946066709.png

2. Scanning your files, unacceptable. End of story.
Your piracy, acceptable. Whole paragraph justification.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
1. Seems like they are scanning your files as well?

View attachment 664042

2. Scanning your files, unacceptable. End of story.
Your piracy, acceptable. Whole paragraph justification.
Ransomware protection can just have Windows 10 alert OneDrive that your PC and therefore files are compromised, and roll them back. Not a big deal.

If piracy didn't exist we wouldn't have a single good quality option for legally consuming content. As a symptom of a problem, it provides the incentive needed to provide a decent value proposition to consumers.

eg2505

Honorary Master
still no google pixel phones available in SA,
not really too interested.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Because the free market does not apply to said content?
The free market is responsible for Spotify, Netflix, Marvel Unlimited etc. The prices weren't right, and companies found a viable alternative that was then copied by competitors.

You seem to desire a hellish dystopian world where corporations are always right and are even more supremely powerful, circumvention is impossible and goods and services cost well above what should be their market clearing rate.