Google Photos free storage, only till June 2021

JohnStarr

Executive Member
What, the billions google rolls in every month is not enough, need to be more greedy?
Not everything in life needs to be free. They're running a company. It's like expecting your car to receive free services after the warranty expires.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Might consider this. Maybe time to realize and reduce dependencies from these large conglomerates.

EDIT: Already feels like they're trying to take away your choice so that you don't want to or feel that you can't move to something else, because you're already invested. Can't access Google services from certain devices etc. Their grip on my balls is getting unbearable. :p
just like the oil barons of old Google is becoming,
I suppose it makes them more money in the long run.

so much for "dont be evil"

JohnStarr

Executive Member
Been using Google Drive for years now, and paid for the same period of time. I have peach of mind that our personal stuff is backed up securely (and I also have a backup on an external disk). Works well.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Not everything in life needs to be free. They're running a company. It's like expecting your car to receive free services after the warranty expires.
but youd expect to still find parts for your car, correct? you still want a mechanic to be able to fix your car him/Herself.
big debate on right to repair, and more money making from these giant corporations,

even with simple things like Batteries not being made removable in Cellphones,
I mean whats the big deal, just buy another, but again, it all adds up.

so too here, tested the service up till now, got it dialed in, works well, now time to pay.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
You didn't read the message very well, did you? It's ONLY the HIGH RESOLUTION photos that will not be free any more.

Your normal Google optimised photos will still be free.

Afon Kulikov

Forging
/sarcastic voice: Yes, this is exactly the same thing, your car harvests personal data and makes millions on advertising

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
You didn't read the message very well, did you? It's ONLY the HIGH RESOLUTION photos that will not be free any more.

****...yes, I did....

Last edited:

latro

Google optimised photos? I thought that and high resolution photos are one and the same thing?

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master

But the High quality is the one that's optimized and free, ATM. What will Optimized be, then? 4MP??

Screenshot_2020-11-12-10-47-59-512_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Skerminkel

Expert Member
just like the oil barons of old Google is becoming,
I suppose it makes them more money in the long run.

so much for "dont be evil"
I am not elated by the news either, but charging money for a services is hardly being evil.

ijacobs3

Expert Member

JohnStarr

Executive Member
/sarcastic voice: Yes, this is exactly the same thing, your car harvests personal data and makes millions on advertising
It is an analogy. Your statement had nothing to do with harvesting information as you only referred to the billions they make per month.
Then let me put it to you differently so that you understand (/sarcastic voice): Not everything in life is free. Why would a company, with an aim of making a profit, allow people to upload what they want for as long as they want? It goes against the economics of making a profit?
And by now, people are so invested in the product it becomes more difficult to move off it. So they would pay to continue the service.
If you want free, move off the service. Otherwise pay. Those are your choices.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
but youd expect to still find parts for your car, correct? you still want a mechanic to be able to fix your car him/Herself.
big debate on right to repair, and more money making from these giant corporations,

even with simple things like Batteries not being made removable in Cellphones,
I mean whats the big deal, just buy another, but again, it all adds up.

so too here, tested the service up till now, got it dialed in, works well, now time to pay.
So pay...it's not that expensive. Or move off it. Choices in life...

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

Wrong. Nothing will be free from 1 June 2021. They're also killing the free Google Docs storage and files will also count toward your storage.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle