Google Photos free storage, only till June 2021

Budza

Executive Member
AjVgbiEkEtycnl3IBltuqbMpmIK5Ums8uofGqVU9H9Esh8HTDJTR8rGkn3pouCkc6erEDf-dBOUjsdOVHsnkOOlRbie0GZ7Tzj1NfI0=s0-d-e1-ft
All photos and videos you back up in High quality before June 1, 2021 are exempt from this change and will not count toward your Google Account storage. This includes all of your existing content uploaded in High quality.

Going to have to start uploading a month before then with my budget fibre. Get all my pics uploaded before the deadline.

I imagine their servers will take strain towards the end?

Edit: BTW I use a Chrome dev tools Network profile to limit upload speed on the Photos tab so it doesn't kill the internet for the whole house.

Budza

Executive Member

BraBean

Honorary Master
I see Google Workspaces is roughly same price for 2TB (Business Standard) as Google One, but Workspace offers a tad more. Will one be able to share the 2TB with family on workspaces?

Dark Agent

Expert Member
I see Google Workspaces is roughly same price for 2TB (Business Standard) as Google One, but Workspace offers a tad more. Will one be able to share the 2TB with family on workspaces?
Yes, you can share a folder and they can contribute to the folder.

hj007

Was good while it lasted. What options are there, can't assume that google photos is auto the best choice as a subscription service?

system32

Expert Member
Was good while it lasted. What options are there, can't assume that google photos is auto the best choice as a subscription service?
OwnCloud.org (open source & commercial - self host)
NextCloud (open source & commercial - self host)
pCloud - once off fee
Microsoft 365/Office365/OneDrive family is R1399 with 6TB vs R1599 for Google One 2TB Family plan
Seems you get better value with MS.
DropBox

Google - freemium model
The first "hit" is always free!

BraBean

Honorary Master
OwnCloud.org (open source & commercial - self host)
NextCloud (open source & commercial - self host)
pCloud - once off fee
Microsoft 365/Office365/OneDrive family is R1399 with 6TB vs R1599 for Google One 2TB Family plan
Seems you get better value with MS.
DropBox

Google - freemium model
The first "hit" is always free!
That Office 365 Family plan looks interesting. Wonder if the storage is accessible from Huawei phones (the ones without Google services)

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
I have about 250GB of photos (from 2000 to current) on Google Photos . On our mobile devices , photos and videos are uploaded to gPhotos in free high-quality and original quality to our respective One Drive folders.

The one drive folders are 'backed' up to my NAS

This works well. Love Google photos auto sharing capability so may just finally pay up for some storage. Already paying for their YouTube so it's inevitable. As my OneDrive is nearly now hitting it's 1TB capacity , will split the photos across the family accounts (and still keep backup on my NAS). Have a December project.

Colsuldel

if deciding to switch to a different photo storage and don't want photos stored accross multiple apps,
use takeout.google.com to download your entire photos folder, and then upload to new photo storage.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
if deciding to switch to a different photo storage and don't want photos stored accross multiple apps,
use takeout.google.com to download your entire photos folder, and then upload to new photo storage.
You can also use that to transfer directly to OneDrive, Dropbox, and a few others without having to download it locally.

Not that a local copy is a bad idea. :)

Hackson

If you have a .ac.za email address just check if it is with google, if it is, just add that account to your phone and use it for backup. Unlimited storage in Full Res. The only problem is that link sharing can only be to other people with a .ac.za email address FROM YOUR UNIVERSITY.

RedViking

Nord of the South
What a bunch of cheap skate whining babies.

For R30/m you get 100GB
For R40/m you get 200GB

Get the 2TB and add your family (up to 5) and make them pay you.

Profit! Win!

If you want free, the ANC is that way >>

system32

Expert Member
What a bunch of cheap skate whining babies.

For R30/m you get 100GB
For R40/m you get 200GB

Get the 2TB and add your family (up to 5) and make them pay you.

Profit! Win!

If you want free, the ANC is that way >>
FYI: Microsoft 365/Office365/OneDrive family plan is R1399 with 6TB vs R1599 for Google One 2TB Family plan

BraBean

Honorary Master
FYI: Microsoft 365/Office365/OneDrive family plan is R1399 with 6TB vs R1599 for Google One 2TB Family plan

My wife's Huawei y7p doesn't have Google services on it. I tested this Onedrive etc. on her phone yesterday. Backed up her photos in no time. She's happy with the backup, where she can access it on phone and PC, without manually backing up.
Also installed her a few other Microsoft apps, like Edge, Outlook (to access her Gmail/G-Calendar) and Microsoft launcher and a few others. So far this is only the 5GB free version. If she stays happy with this, I'll most probably upgrade to us all to the family plan.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I think the 15GIG will last me a rather long time. I have so far only used 65Meg with my photo uploads. What I love about google photos is how it recognises the faces (even for pets) and you can easily search for pics of a specific person or pet. Nothing else does that I think. For my naughty stuff I use Mega which came with 50GIG free.

isie

Honorary Master
I think the 15GIG will last me a rather long time. I have so far only used 65Meg with my photo uploads. What I love about google photos is how it recognises the faces (even for pets) and you can easily search for pics of a specific person or pet. Nothing else does that I think. For my naughty stuff I use Mega which came with 50GIG free.
technically the 65 meg is because its still doesnt count to the total (you might have 1 or 2 photos on original quality that's taking that 65meg though.
And yes agreed the face search is phenomenal - though it does seem to think all gingers are the same-
cats that is - not sure about humans if you can even call a ginger human :ROFL: