Google Pixel 6 and eSIM in South Africa

Adenoid Hynkel

Expert Member
The update fixed the wife's unlock issue on the 6. It now unlocks every single time.

I haven't really had issues with the pro, apart from it being slow at times. Definitely feels snappier now

Adenoid Hynkel

Expert Member
Would be nice to see an update improving charging and battery performance overall early December. Then at some point camera performance....
I've noticed better battery performance when disabling 5G.

SOT figures are different in android 12. Tuesday night I had just over 4 hours SOT with around 25% battery left when I went to bed around 12.

Disabled 5G yesterday morning and my SOT was just under 6 hours with around 35% battery left.

I'm mostly connected to WiFi networks so don't really need 5G to be active.

04e5ac6d096d920a51f06bd7ca2536c8.jpg

SergioDomngos

Anybody looking at a Pixel 6....DONT!!!

The fingerprint sensor is shocking. Registered my right thumb and index finger multiple times, even with multiple captures, I managed to unlock the phone three times out of many many many attempts. Then while on the phone to service provider to organise a return, my phone locks and used my left index that wasn't even registered and it unlocked.

Googling, this seems to be a world-wide issue. The main issue is with the sensor. Instead of using an ultra-sonic sensor, Google went cheap and used a camera?!?
I believe there are a few workarounds that I have seen on the Google Pixel reddit page about registering fingers and what not in order to help better the performance of the fingerprint scanner. I think I may have saved the posts if you really want to see it, just pm me. Really quite a bummer, but let's hope it improves with software updates.
The question most of us want to know is whether we can make the local networks work on the eSim.
I believe the (new?) iPhones also only have 1 sim, cant believe so many people only use one sim, banks pretty much give free data with your transactional bank accounts... But anyway, I'd also like to use the eSim feature on the Pixel. Would suck to only use 1 sim card.

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
I believe the (new?) iPhones also only have 1 sim, cant believe so many people only use one sim, banks pretty much give free data with your transactional bank accounts... But anyway, I'd also like to use the eSim feature on the Pixel. Would suck to only use 1 sim card.

1 physical, 8 digital and personally see no reason for a 2nd sim. I have 1 sim which gets 1GB if free data every month, that covers me for the month easily.

Messugga

Honorary Master
I believe there are a few workarounds that I have seen on the Google Pixel reddit page about registering fingers and what not in order to help better the performance of the fingerprint scanner. I think I may have saved the posts if you really want to see it, just pm me. Really quite a bummer, but let's hope it improves with software updates.

Because mobile data in the rest of the world is relatively cheap, so why bother with multiple sims? And even if you need to, there's always eSim.

Rob123

How long did your shipments take to arrive? Mine still shows as in Dubai but the delivery date is still end of today??

Brother Dusk

I've noticed better battery performance when disabling 5G.

SOT figures are different in android 12. Tuesday night I had just over 4 hours SOT with around 25% battery left when I went to bed around 12.

Disabled 5G yesterday morning and my SOT was just under 6 hours with around 35% battery left.

I'm mostly connected to WiFi networks so don't really need 5G to be active.

04e5ac6d096d920a51f06bd7ca2536c8.jpg
If people were basing horrible battery life while on 5G then they weren't thinking. I have my iPhone 12 on 5G for 5 minutes and battery drops dramatically. TBH 5G is a nice to have. Especially in this country with high data prices. Fibre and LTE are more than enough for me

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
If people were basing horrible battery life while on 5G then they weren't thinking. I have my iPhone 12 on 5G for 5 minutes and battery drops dramatically. TBH 5G is a nice to have. Especially in this country with high data prices. Fibre and LTE are more than enough for me

Mine just figures it out for itself, 5G is only on when needed otherwise it chills on LTE.

Brother Dusk

The pixel 3 was able to use eSim on MTN. I believe the Pixel 5 should be no different unless something has changed?

Brother Dusk

How long did your shipments take to arrive? Mine still shows as in Dubai but the delivery date is still end of today??
How long has it been? Amazon is currently out of stock Hopefully they'll have some next week Friday....

HassenC

Which screen guards have you guys made use of?

I bought the Milomdoi from Amazon,

3 pack screen guard for 10 dollars.

Finger print seems to be working fine.

Rob123

Call them locally. I had the same. Tracking wasn't updating on their side.

Or, they need your ID number and never got hold of you, as customs is done while the parcel sits in Dubai.
They called for my ID on Sunday. Got hold of an afterhours number now and it is still sitting in Dubai... to be delivered on Monday now. Disappointing.

HassenC

They called for my ID on Sunday. Got hold of an afterhours number now and it is still sitting in Dubai... to be delivered on Monday now. Disappointing.
I ordered mine from Amazon, shipped to Aramex Global Shopper address, took about 2 weeks,

In fact, my phone arrived a week before my screen guards.