Google Pixel 6 and eSIM in South Africa

stoozak

1 physical, 8 digital and personally see no reason for a 2nd sim. I have 1 sim which gets 1GB if free data every month, that covers me for the month easily.

I know you can have 1 physical and 1 esim active simultaneously, but can you have 2 esims active simultaneously?

AntennaMan

Expert Member
My Pixel 6 arrived today.

Some initial thoughts:
1. The screen is very good. I really can't complain. It is responsive, with the brightness and quality that very good.
2. Out of the box, the fingerprint reader was not as bad as it was made out to be. It isn't quite as fast as my Galaxy S9 fingerprint reader, but not so slow that I would complain. And this was before the system update. I haven't really tested it that much.
3. Stock Android seems much better than 3-4 years ago when my wife had a Nokia 8. I don't think it will be necessary to load a custom launcher.
4. The Android 12 drop-down menu is not great. I agree with many reviewers that actions that used to take 2-3 swipes, now take 4 or more swipes, and this is a step backward. Maybe they will fix this in the future.
5. I still need to copy my apps. Will do so tonight at home.
6. Have not had a chance to really test the camera. Will do so.
7. I have not transferred my sim card yet. Will do so tonight.
8. Will see if I can get eSim working at some stage.

Rob123

My Pixel 6 arrived today.

Some initial thoughts:
1. The screen is very good. I really can't complain. It is responsive, with the brightness and quality that very good.
2. Out of the box, the fingerprint reader was not as bad as it was made out to be. It isn't quite as fast as my Galaxy S9 fingerprint reader, but not so slow that I would complain. And this was before the system update. I haven't really tested it that much.
3. Stock Android seems much better than 3-4 years ago when my wife had a Nokia 8. I don't think it will be necessary to load a custom launcher.
4. The Android 12 drop-down menu is not great. I agree with many reviewers that actions that used to take 2-3 swipes, now take 4 or more swipes, and this is a step backward. Maybe they will fix this in the future.
5. I still need to copy my apps. Will do so tonight at home.
6. Have not had a chance to really test the camera. Will do so.
7. I have not transferred my sim card yet. Will do so tonight.
8. Will see if I can get eSim working at some stage.
Nice. Mine arrived this morning after I left for work. Busy night ahead...

desmoresr

have any of you guys managed to get VOLTE working or 5G

apparently google locks these out of countries where phones are not officially sold

desmoresr

The Wi-Fi calling or VOLTE doesn't even show up on the phone :(

Went to Century City where 5G was working in iPhone and the device doesn't pick it up.

Rob123

have any of you guys managed to get VOLTE working or 5G

apparently google locks these out of countries where phones are not officially sold
I haven't tried this myself:

stoozak

I haven't tried this myself:

I tried every possible combination of modules and root edits on my 4a 5G and did not manage to get it working, but I have not tried on my 6P.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Dope video dropped earlier.

What is a Google Phone?! Reviewing Every Pixel/Nexus Ever! - Marques Brownlee

Brother Dusk

Dope video dropped earlier.

What is a Google Phone?! Reviewing Every Pixel/Nexus Ever! - Marques Brownlee

Nexus 6P I’d still be rocking it if it wasn’t for boot loop of death. Pixel 2, Pixel 6, Galaxy Nexus, N6P are my all time favorites

Rob123

If you edit these files and put you own values in then your phone will start charging when it drops below 75% and stop when it gets to 80%. (put your own values in, etc.)

I have only tested it briefly but it seems to work for AC and USB charging for me so far. No other apps or tweaks needed.

/sys/devices/platform/google,charger/charge_start_level:75
/sys/devices/platform/google,charger/charge_stop_level:80

Brother Dusk

Got this baby delivered today

Anyone had luck with activating an eSim on MTN or even Voda?

Attachments

• IMG-20211126-WA0019.jpeg
    IMG-20211126-WA0019.jpeg
    323 KB · Views: 26

Brother Dusk

Went to MTN in Centurion to get an eSim activated. The lady there said it only works on wearables luckily I have an eSim on my iphone 12. So I told her NO it works on phones too.

She then activated it and sent me a QR code....I left and scanned the code when I got home. I got the error message per picture below.

I called MTN, turns out the lady simply resent my old QR code with the EID on the eSIM on the iphone. MTN contact centre said she had to do an eSIM swap and they couldn't help me.

So I scanned the code on my iphone and my number works again.

So tomorrow I'll go to MTN mall of Africa and ask for an eSim swap. Hopefully it works. IMG-20211126-WA0046.jpg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
The Pixel 6 (non Pro) actually won Phone of the Year.

The Best Smartphones of 2021 - Mrwhosetheboss

SergioDomngos

Anybody looking at a Pixel 6....DONT!!!

The fingerprint sensor is shocking. Registered my right thumb and index finger multiple times, even with multiple captures, I managed to unlock the phone three times out of many many many attempts. Then while on the phone to service provider to organise a return, my phone locks and used my left index that wasn't even registered and it unlocked.

Googling, this seems to be a world-wide issue. The main issue is with the sensor. Instead of using an ultra-sonic sensor, Google went cheap and used a camera?!?
Fingerprint scanner really is poor, very disappointed...

SergioDomngos

Mine is fine, even with the 2 cheap Amazon glass screen protectors that I have tried. Maybe Google how to make it better. Have you done the update for it yet?
I have a amazon cheapie as well. It works like 25% of the time, I have to press my finger in a certain position to get it to work. I did the update yes, I believe there's another update on the way that some users already have (I think North America)

ChrisJ

Mine works fine, just not quite as fast as the rear physical reader on my 3a.

I had camera crashes with the latest update but fixed by uninstalling the latest camera update