Google Pixel 6 and eSIM in South Africa

Rob123

I have a amazon cheapie as well. It works like 25% of the time, I have to press my finger in a certain position to get it to work. I did the update yes, I believe there's another update on the way that some users already have (I think North America)
Try recording your fingerprint many times and move it around a lot.
Some people say they need to touch their nose to get some "oil" on their fingerprints if they have very dry hands...!

AdrianH

Expert Member
Mine had a screen protector on, it was the one EE (UK network) sell with the phone so I would presume it's should have not hampered the fingerprint reader.

The phone has been sent back though and I got full refund. Luckily in UK, when buying online you can return within 14 days not questions asked.

AdrianH

Expert Member
Try recording your fingerprint many times and move it around a lot.
Some people say they need to touch their nose to get some "oil" on their fingerprints if they have very dry hands...!
This phone is premium, they should have use premium ultra-sonic sensor, not the cheaper camera sensor.

It's a pity because this fingerprint sensor is the only negetive I have to say about the phone, but for me it was the deal breaker.

stoozak

I found that the mid-November update helped the fingerprint scanner tremendously. It was very hit and miss before the update.

SergioDomngos

Thanks all, will try a different protector. Hopefully its gets better with new updates. I actually honestly don't mind the pattern unlock actually.

Now I just need to figure out between my month-to-month Afrihost Mobile voice+data and my standard bank voice+data, which SIM I wanna keep. Would like e-sim but both Afrihost and SB are cheaper than the other guys.

Brother Dusk

Telkom eSim working well on pixel 6, happy days for when I'm away from home wifi

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211223-162123.png
    Screenshot_20211223-162123.png
    166.4 KB · Views: 51

Naks

Executive Member
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Pixel 6, but it is not getting any 5G signal. My SP said it's probably because my SIM card is too old, so we got a new SIM card, and still nothing.

I just came from a friend's house, where his iPhone is on 5G. So we put his SIM card in my phone, and still no 5G, only LTE.

Here are screenshots of the diagnostics screen, I've also tried switching the Radio Band from Automatic to US, EU, Japan, Australia, etc., and still no 5G signal.

pixel 61.png
pixel 62.png

Any advice would be most welcome, thanks!

Leisure Larry

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Pixel 6, but it is not getting any 5G signal. My SP said it's probably because my SIM card is too old, so we got a new SIM card, and still nothing.

I just came from a friend's house, where his iPhone is on 5G. So we put his SIM card in my phone, and still no 5G, only LTE.

Here are screenshots of the diagnostics screen, I've also tried switching the Radio Band from Automatic to US, EU, Japan, Australia, etc., and still no 5G signal.

View attachment 1223782
View attachment 1223784

Any advice would be most welcome, thanks!
I stand to be corrected, but I read somewhere on another forum that Google restricts the 5G signal in country's where they do not sell the device.

Naks

Executive Member
I stand to be corrected, but I read somewhere on another forum that Google restricts the 5G signal in country's where they do not sell the device.
Well, F me.

I should have gone with my head and just bought an S21, but noooo, I had to make an emotional decision

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
Well, F me.

I should have gone with my head and just bought an S21, but noooo, I had to make an emotional decision

Apparently that and VoLTE.

Custom ROM likely the only way around that, not like you actually have a warranty so no real harm in getting something like Cyanogen

Naks

Executive Member
Apparently that and VoLTE.

Custom ROM likely the only way around that, not like you actually have a warranty so no real harm in getting something like Cyanogen
Yeah, but then I can't use DSTVNow and some other apps that require Google Certified devices.

Argh, not a train smash really. I mean, it only took me 3 weeks to figure out that I wasn't getting 5G

Brother Dusk

The December update borked my signal at home and certain parts of our office. So for almost aonth, I couldn't receive calls at home.

But yesterday's update fixed that. It will be the last day 1 update I do. In future, I will wait a week or so to make sure there aren't any massive issues.
Is that on the 6 pro?

Updated the normal 6 in December, had no issues. Beginning to think the 6 pro is buggier