Google says its quantum computer finished a 10,000-year task in minutes

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Google says its quantum computer finished a 10,000-year task in minutes

Alphabet Inc.’s Google said it’s built a computer that’s reached “quantum supremacy,” performing a computation in 200 seconds that would take the fastest supercomputers about 10,000 years.

The results of Google’s tests, which were conducted using a quantum chip it developed in-house, were published Wednesday in the scientific journal Nature.

“This achievement is the result of years of research and the dedication of many people," Google engineering director Hartmut Neven said in a blog post.

[Bloomberg]

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
It’s also the beginning of a new journey: figuring out how to put this technology to work.
Right, now see if it can factor very large primes, because if it can do that, we will then be able to break RSA, AES128, and also potentially find collisions in SHA-3 and other new-ish hashing algorithms, in a matter of hours.

Hellhound105

Executive Member
Fastest super computers....Like fastest super computers from 2011,2012,2013,2019?

Gnome

Executive Member
Right, now see if it can factor very large primes, because if it can do that, we will then be able to break RSA, AES128, and also potentially find collisions in SHA-3 and other new-ish hashing algorithms, in a matter of hours.

Why AES and SHA-3?

RSA sure, it is a prime number factorization problem, but those other algorithms don't rely on prime numbers at all.
Even if they could factor discrete logarithms quickly (another type of public key crypto approach), it still wouldn't have an effect on AES or SHA.

But I admit, my understanding of the topics don't go super deep, do you have links talking about this?

RonSwanson

Executive Member
It depends on the implementation. Asymmetric crypto, yes, and you can add ECC and Diffie-Hellman to the list. Strong symmetric crypto will still be relatively solid, although weaker by a factor of two. Symmetric AES256, for example, will still be strong.

SoldierMan

Executive Member
Wow interesting interesting.. Not

You're kidding right?
If God slapped you through the face with a big hand coming down out of the sky you would probably find it hard to raise an eyebrow...

Google: We have Star Wars level computing power.
wbot: Meh.

Some people.

Messugga

Honorary Master
You're kidding right?
If God slapped you through the face with a big hand coming down out of the sky you would probably find it hard to raise an eyebrow...

Google: We have Star Wars level computing power.
wbot: Meh.

Some people.
Don't lower yourself to the level of someone who obviously doesn't understand the meaning of this, but still insist on voicing their opinion.

wbot

Expert Member
Yeah please don't lower yourself to my level. Sorry I'm not blown away by something you guys find so fascinating :)

lumeer

Expert Member
IBM are disputing Google's claim of having demonstrated quantum supremacy. IBM claim that with the correct algorithm and programming, a classical computer could have achieved the same outcome in less than three days, and that true quantum supremacy will only be achieved when a quantum computer succeeds in a computational task that cannot be achieved on a classical computer at all.

Thor

Honorary Master
Goodbye Bitcoin, it's been fun.

SHA-256 ain't got **** on this.

3WA

Honorary Master
Does this mean I have to make my passwords longer?