Google Stadia could be faster than local hardware - Lead engineer

Hanno Labuschagne

Expert Member
Staff member
Google Stadia could be faster than local hardware - Lead engineer

Google’s cloud game streaming service Stadia could offer a “faster and more responsive” gaming experience than local hardware in consoles and PCs, according to Stadia’s vice president of engineering.

In an interview with Edge Magazine, Stadia’s Madj Bakar said that Google will employ several technologies to counter the effects of high latency in connection speeds.

“Ultimately, we think in a year or two we’ll have games that are running faster and feel more responsive in the cloud than they do locally, ” said Bakar.

stefan9

Executive Member
Pass. Not playing at 60fps when I can get much more on my home system...

Stevewarren

Unless they invent some form of communication faster than what light travels through glass, I don't see how it's possible.

cerebus

Honorary Master
It seems like he's talking about using predictive button presses to anticipate user actions. No idea how it'll work in practice. I would be extremely annoyed if a game was registering phantom presses in a fast paced game.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
No use complaining until I've had a 3-month trial account to test with.

Reactions: Yuu

Park@82

Honorary Master
It seems like he's talking about using predictive button presses to anticipate user actions. No idea how it'll work in practice. I would be extremely annoyed if a game was registering phantom presses in a fast paced game.
Sound like it would be a first person movie instead of a FPS :p

Swa

Honorary Master
From what I've read Microsoft beats it, and that's using an offsite demo while google was next door. Still didn't come close to local hardware.

cerebus

Honorary Master
From what I've read Microsoft beats it, and that's using an offsite demo while google was next door. Still didn't come close to local hardware.
Yeah but the feature they're talking about here hasn't been demoed yet.