Google sued for allegedly collecting user data secretly

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Google sued for allegedly collecting user data secretly

Google surreptitiously amasses billions of bits of information --every day -- about internet users even if they opt out of sharing their information, three consumers alleged in a proposed class action lawsuit.

“Google tracks and collects consumer browsing history and other web activity data no matter what safeguards consumers undertake to protect their data privacy,” according to the complaint filed Tuesday in federal court in San Jose, California.

The lawsuit argues that while Google lets users turn off data collection when using its Chrome web browser, other Google tools used by websites themselves scoop up their data anyways. The suit includes claims for invasion of privacy and violations of federal wiretapping law.

[Bloomberg]

susefan

And when Huawei brings out a google free smartphone we say that we cannot do without google.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Oh no, my life is ruined, they know that I used my FNB banking app yesterday.
And when Huawei brings out a google free smartphone we say that we cannot do without google.
All our services are tied with Google, and I'd trust Google over Huawei, mostly because Google does it to sell a service, while for Huawei if the Chinese government ever decides to mess with the company it will be a lot worse.

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
So don’t use Chrome? Or accuse the websites that use Google Analytics without telling you about it and leave Google themselves out of it.

This is like blaming the car manufacturers for bad drivers.

RedViking

Nord of the South
As for this case. It will be nothing but a fart in the wind.