Google Web Accellerator

antowan

Honorary Master
Hasn't indicated any saving to me yet...

Very good installation though! IE and FireFox aware...

playkiller no.2

Expert Member
make sure the icon at the bottom says it`s connected.
It`s still in beta state people outside North America and Europe might not see any difference.

Alkine

"Also note that during the first part of our beta testing period, users outside of North America and Europe may not see much improvement in their web page loading speed."

But if they put a server in south-africa (wich is highly unlikely) we may be able to browse after we are capped? :)

Last edited:

nocilah

Banned
i fail to see how this is going to improve speeds. at work when i tried it... wuz useless...

another google gimmik? or am i doing something wrong?

tibby.dude

Executive Member
Okay got it working

a) ZoneAlarm was blocking third party cookies (enabled it)
b) Manually changed the proxy in FireFox for HTTP to localhost:9100
c) It claims to have saved me 0.8s on www.myadsl.co.za

tibby.dude

Executive Member
halicon said:
okay i use mcafee... but i still dont see how it improves speed.
Google has the entire contents of the web indexed on their 250,000 Linux cluster.

So in theory by going to them directly via the huge fat pipes available to their 4 datacentres around the world they can give you the pages fastest without going to the particular webserver.

Jerrek

halicon said:
aight makes sense... until their linux cluster blows up :D
They actually get about 10 computer failures a DAY and about 50 hard drive failures. They wrote some custom Linux code that makes plugging a new computer into the cluster a breeze: just plug it in, and the software and databases get installed automatically, and everything is fixed up nice and quick.

I think they have a storage room of thousands of computers that they just pull from every day to fix the ones that break down.

Celemasiko

Expert Member
the biggest crap I can think off. Another method to get more information about surfers behaviors and for more spam to come. My firefox is doing all those thing for me already without me having to fear any spying.

Last edited:

DFantom

Expert Member
tibby.dude said:
Google has the entire contents of the web indexed on their 250,000 Linux cluster.
The size of the clusters is not public knowledge. What is know is that it is not fixed per data center.

tibby.dude said:
So in theory by going to them directly via the huge fat pipes available to their 4 datacentres around the world they can give you the pages fastest without going to the particular webserver.
Another piece of non public knowledge, is how many they have. Where are you pulling these numbers from?

Jerrek said:
They actually get about 10 computer failures a DAY and about 50 hard drive failures.
I though a hard drive failure was a computer failure. In anyway they average 1 failure a day for every 1000 servers.

If you are actually interested in what really happens in google have a look at http://www.uwtv.org/programs/displayevent.asp?rid=2459

Celemasiko said:
Another method to get more information about surfers behavior
My first thought as well

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
I got [3] blue screens when I installed it....and when it was working, it didn't improve my browsing speed, so I unistalled it.

dominic

Legal Expert: Telecoms
as a matter of irrelevant interest i saved 4.5 seconds over 35 pages on a dial-up

hey, it all adds up

kilps

Expert Member
At school it doen't work at all :( - the internet is so slow here