Google will go to court over e-mail ads

Tinuva

The Magician
Well that's good and all, but I really hope that gmail doesn't follow the same route that google reader did, depending on the outcome of this trial of-coarse.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Well that's good and all, but I really hope that gmail doesn't follow the same route that google reader did, depending on the outcome of this trial of-coarse.

Can you imagine the administrative chaos if gmail is shut down?

saor

Honorary Master
Can you imagine the administrative chaos if gmail is shut down?
I'd sooner check the 'I don't really care if they've scanned my emails' box than lose my gmail account. At this point I'd probably also check the 'and I don't really care if they continue to do it' box too. I guess that's the price you pay for having a technology so integrated into your life: You're prepared to overlook these 'invasions of privacy' which, on the outset, I'd probably not have agreed to / been too comfortable with.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
I'd sooner check the 'I don't really care if they've scanned my emails' box than lose my gmail account. At this point I'd probably also check the 'and I don't really care if they continue to do it' box too. I guess that's the price you pay for having a technology so integrated into your life: You're prepared to overlook these 'invasions of privacy' which, on the outset, I'd probably not have agreed to / been too comfortable with.

I rather them scan my for ads and know about it than storing my mail with someone that does the same but sell it.

My argument is I wonder if this persons knows that all mail services scan your mail, some just do it to remove spam while others does it for ads. Also I have a feeling they want to use this case as president to go after the NSA next.

Viva

Expert Member
“Nothing in the policies suggests that Google intercepts email communication in transit between users, and in fact, the policies obscure Google’s intent to engage in such interceptions,” the judge wrote.

Seriously?

Never mind interception, it is stored on their servers too. That is a given for all such email services. The use of the word interception obscures the fact that mail gets scanned by computers to target ads. It's in no way different (to my mind) from scanning for spam.

Litigation brought by nine plaintiffs, some Gmail users, some not, was consolidated before Koh earlier this year. The plaintiffs maintain Google violated several laws, including federal anti-wiretapping statutes by systematically crossing the “creepy line” to read private email messages in order to profit, according to court documents.

No one "read" anyone's mail. How then can it be creepy? Also, what is wrong with profiting?

Last edited: