Gordhan cancels Christmas break for Eskom execs

This.

Human nature.

That’s why communist ideology will never work. There is no equal as equal as oneself.
I wonder if the Champ has a solution? Changing human nature might be one?
Communism, Ubuntu and christianity seem to have much in common, if applied selflessly.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
It still does tell us how we the masses are going to benefit by turning back the clock to the good old days. Turning back the clock means a big chunk of the population will have to get off the grid, not so? unless we are going back hand in hand back to the good days of a well run Eskom I just don't see anything to reminisce about.
He said ''apartheid Eskom'', not ''apartheid'' and the good 'ol days. His next post greatly expanded on what ''apartheid Eskom'' meant. I knew immediately what he meant as I have said something similar in the past in another thread. You and the rest just saw ''apartheid'' and immediately jumped to conclusions.

Apartheid-era Eskom - Eskom free of political meddling; Eskom not used to meet political targets; Eskom not used to enrich cadres; Eskom run by technocrats and not (corrupt) politicians and accountants.

Current Eskom - Eskom run by people deployed on political merits that do not understand the energy industry; Eskom used to siphon money; Eskom used to meet political goals (free electricity, transformation, etc).

Until the ANC stops using Eskom as their own personal playground it will never be turned around. That is what he meant because the NP government didn't do that and it functioned at 100% as a result.

eg2505

Honorary Master
or the execs will work remotely, and get "crisis pay" X100 as thats what executives like,

thechamp

Honorary Master
or the execs will work remotely, and get "crisis pay" X100 as thats what executives like,
They can work remotely if the want, as long as they understand that they have fully account for everything relating to the power stations they have been assigned to, at least that is my understanding of Gordhan's plan. I don't know about crisis pay, it just looks to me like the usual.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Why not cancel their vacation and their bonuses? That should get their attention rather quickly.
It would be hypocritical of Pravin to do that yet keep all his perks as a government minister. As a government minister he is must also take the blame for the mess that Eskom is in.

Cr419

Executive Member
Force, your parents had access to electricity before you where born, while you where being born, and after you where born. Unless you're 100 years old, in which case your parents had candles.
I'm only 35 now, and much of my family didn't have electricity when I was a kid. Their houses always had this nauseating smell of old wax. I still don't like that smell.

thechamp

Honorary Master
So?

Someone in this country needs to grow a back bone and break the fscking unions, and Eskom is a perfect opportunity to do so....
Looking for easy targets is not going to help, if you are going to save money by cutting people's bonuses it should be a holistic approach across the board, Eskom did not capture itself, it was captured with the help of politicians, waking up one day and cutting Eskom execs bonuses will just be populist.

thechamp

Honorary Master
I'm only 35 now, and much of my family didn't have electricity when I was a kid. Their houses always had this nauseating smell of old wax. I still don't like that smell.
I think he means when the parents were working for Baas Schoeman and they had access to his electricity, otherwise it would be the most ignorant post of the day.

ISP cash cow

Expert Member
Looking for easy targets is not going to help, if you are going to save money by cutting people's bonuses it should be a holistic approach across the board, Eskom did not capture itself, it was captured with the help of politicians, waking up one day and cutting Eskom execs bonuses will just be populist.
But Eskom Execs bonuses are generally based on performance and I honestly don't see any performance coming out of Eskom (Product or accounting wise) that leads me to believe that they should get bonuses in the first place.

In all the SOE's it is the same thing, where the perform poorly and still get paid their annual performance bonus. Like who assesses this?

eg2505

Honorary Master
So?

Someone in this country needs to grow a back bone and break the fscking unions, and Eskom is a perfect opportunity to do so....
I agree 100%, but we live in a society that depends on the unions for "protection"
they can mobilize their members and burn a power station to the ground, if they so choose,
or go out an damage electricity infrastructure at a moments notice, if they received the order,

remember they can cause a whole lot of damage if they made the decision to cause chaos, due to no pay or bad working conditions.

in actual fact, they could probably end this ransom anytime, if they decided to actually do their job, and stop sitting around.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I'm not talking about just cutting their bonuses.... I'm talking about a complete overhaul of the workforce and the way work is approached... Unions thinking they can stop a critical service because they're upset is bollocks and should end up with criminal charges.

4ftersh0ck

And now this morning a spokesperson for Eskom said that overnight the situation has somewhat improved and they will only go to Stage 1 today. Coincidence?

thechamp

Honorary Master
And now this morning a spokesperson for Eskom said that overnight the situation has somewhat improved and they will only go to Stage 1 today. Coincidence?
Yes, I think so, don't be surprised if things change drastically over the next few days.