Gordhan cancels Christmas break for Eskom execs

thechamp

Honorary Master
I wonder if the Champ has a solution? Changing human nature might be one?
Communism, Ubuntu and christianity seem to have much in common, if applied selflessly.
You have been mentioning me a lot lately, And no guy, I don't have a solution, take your Philosophy discussion to the relevant subforum.

garp

Executive Member
And now this morning a spokesperson for Eskom said that overnight the situation has somewhat improved and they will only go to Stage 1 today. Coincidence?
Nope, I don't think it's a coincidence at all. And suddenly the tune is changing that instead of needing to load shed possibly up to March (or indefinitely) they're saying they'll stop much sooner. Nothing like a bit of a stick to motivate people into getting off their arses. I'm guessing the first easy fix is to get the power stations to stop refusing coal deliveries from the mines.. and hopefully a proper investigation into why they would have done this.

porchrat

Honorary Master
Looking for easy targets is not going to help, if you are going to save money by cutting people's bonuses it should be a holistic approach across the board, Eskom did not capture itself, it was captured with the help of politicians, waking up one day and cutting Eskom execs bonuses will just be populist.
Horseschit.

In order for these dodgy gupta deals to get pushed through the management of Eskom needed to sit back and let it happen. If they had stood up then and done something about it we wouldn't be in this mess. They're all to blame.

HBee

Expert Member
So over December they can be as defective as they have have been for the other 11 months? I don't see the point. Just fire them all.

R13...

Honorary Master
Horseschit.

In order for these dodgy gupta deals to get pushed through the management of Eskom needed to sit back and let it happen. If they had stood up then and done something about it we wouldn't be in this mess. They're all to blame.
To be fair, if they'd stood up we'd still have ended up here as anyone who spoke up or resisted would have simply been fired and replaced with pliable types. And Mabuza is right about (in a way), when Molefe got brought in to save us from load shedding, we hailed him a hero little knowing he was just another Zuptoid there to facilitate the takeover of Eskom by the Guptas as he'd already done at Transnet.

porchrat

Honorary Master
To be fair, if they'd stood up we'd still have ended up here as anyone who spoke up or resisted would have simply been fired and replaced with pliable types. And Mabuza is right about (in a way), when Molefe got brought in to save us from load shedding, we hailed him a hero little knowing he was just another Zuptoid there to facilitate the takeover of Eskom by the Guptas as he'd already done at Transnet.
You can't replace the entire management staff. You can't hide corruption with whistleblowers around every corner. If they'd all had the integrity to do the right thing this wouldn't have happened.

R13...

Honorary Master
You can't replace the entire management staff. You can't hide corruption with whistleblowers around every corner. If they'd all had the integrity to do the right thing this wouldn't have happened.
You may not be able to replace all of the management but they probably relied on the fact that no system is perfect and you can always find people willing to work with you in return for a bit of change. Besides whistleblowers are worthless when their reports are ignored or buried by the corrupt at the top. And if they went to lay charges those would have been ignored because the state capture project installed gate keepers to make sure that any case involving them get flagged

He said ''apartheid Eskom'', not ''apartheid'' and the good 'ol days. His next post greatly expanded on what ''apartheid Eskom'' meant. I knew immediately what he meant as I have said something similar in the past in another thread. You and the rest just saw ''apartheid'' and immediately jumped to conclusions.

Apartheid-era Eskom - Eskom free of political meddling; Eskom not used to meet political targets; Eskom not used to enrich cadres; Eskom run by technocrats and not (corrupt) politicians and accountants.

Current Eskom - Eskom run by people deployed on political merits that do not understand the energy industry; Eskom used to siphon money; Eskom used to meet political goals (free electricity, transformation, etc).

Until the ANC stops using Eskom as their own personal playground it will never be turned around. That is what he meant because the NP government didn't do that and it functioned at 100% as a result.
An Eskom like that is not going to work for the ANC or average ANC voter because an Eskom like that is not going to supply electricity for free to the ANC voters.

porchrat

Honorary Master
You may not be able to replace all of the management but they probably relied on the fact that no system is perfect and you can always find people willing to work with you in return for a bit of change. Besides whistleblowers are worthless when their reports are ignored or buried by the corrupt at the top. And if they went to lay charges those would have been ignored because the state capture project installed gate keepers to make sure that any case involving them get flagged
Take it to the media then.

This went on for ages before anybody outside of Eskom figured out it was going on.

Now the future of the country is at stake and these same people who sat back and just let it happen are wanting to go on vacation and receive bonuses. Fsck that.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I don't remember hailing him as a hero... I don't think most people did...

HunterNW

Expert Member
You have been mentioning me a lot lately, And no guy, I don't have a solution, take your Philosophy discussion to the relevant subforum.
Atleast have some input ? Like this: Let the 1-2% govern and just maybe the 98-99 % will benefit more than now.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
An Eskom like that is not going to work for the ANC or average ANC voter because an Eskom like that is not going to supply electricity for free to the ANC voters.
So here is a bit of irony for you.

Electricity was so cheap back then, that if the Eskom from 1994 was magically transported to today and allowed to charge modern prices, it would be able to provide free electricity to the whole of Soweto while still making money.

It was cheap because they ran the company properly. Hence, if the company was run properly, the fact that Soweto does not pay would not be an issue.

porchrat

Honorary Master
I would first like to see him giving up some of his own benefits before he does something like that.
He didn't cause this mess. Take the bonuses. Use the bonuses to help fund the maintenance that these management muppets decided wasn't important enough.