Gordhan cancels Christmas break for Eskom execs

nightjar

Expert Member
So here is a bit of irony for you.

Electricity was so cheap back then, that if the Eskom from 1994 was magically transported to today and allowed to charge modern prices, it would be able to provide free electricity to the whole of Soweto while still making money.

It was cheap because they ran the company properly. Hence, if the company was run properly, the fact that Soweto does not pay would not be an issue.
RE - It was cheap because they ran the company properly.
So cheap that the average selling price in 1995 was 11.15 cents per kWh while the production cost was 9.40 cents.

In about 1969, after South Africa’s economic growth rate had topped 6% in various years in the 1960s, electricity demand threatened to outstrip supply. ….. Then Eskom made its best ever strategic decision: it decided to embark on a concerted programme of building huge coal stations of standardised design, each one having six identical units. The result was that vendors and contractors from all over the world tripped over themselves to give Eskom the best prices and conditions. The stations were built on time and on budget. They were funded via cheap debt and all the debt was timeously repaid. The taxpayer didn’t have to pay a cent. By the end of the programme, Eskom had plentiful and very reliable electricity at probably the lowest prices in the world – lower than that from private utilities in other countries. (IRR report 18 March 2015)

In 1998, the white paper on electricity supply recommended that Government look at building new power supply infrastructure to be ready to replace ageing plants that would reach the end of their designed life. The recommendation was ignored in favour of the arms deal which was designed purely to enrich certain comrades by purchasing useless (to SA) equipment at vastly inflated prices. Much of that hardware is in mothballs or has been scrapped.

That decision led, as early as 2002, to supply problems but these were hidden from the public by Eskom selling cheaper power to industry on condition that their power would be cut first first in the event of high demand on the grid. Over the following years, problems increased to the point where they could no longer be hidden – with results that we all know; company closures, countless thousands of job losses, deaths in medical facilities.

In contrast to the 1969 power stations, the Medupi and Kusile projects are years behind target and over budget by several hundred percent.

Nuclear power offered Zuma and his cronies a huge nest egg but, fortunately, it is not a priority at the moment. The interesting thing about nuclear is that, among all the critics, only the EFF kept quiet and one has to wonder if any incentive was offered to them in return for not rocking the boat.

thechamp

Honorary Master
We haven't had any since friday.
I haven't had any loadshedding since loadshedding began, unless it happened while I was at work. I would be very careful though in saying that it has stopped, anyway itnis supposed to be better with the declining demand going towards the holidays.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Dear Mr Pravin Gordhan

Thank you for taking the interests of the taxpayer to heart.

We really appreciate it that you are standing up for us, since it seems that most of the government employees only seem to be looking after themselves instead of the public as they should do.

All of the best and may your endeavours succeed.

Regards

Ook

Zophos

I haven't had any loadshedding since loadshedding began, unless it happened while I was at work. I would be very careful though in saying that it has stopped, anyway it is supposed to be better with the declining demand going towards the holidays.
Well, I recon that it will start again as soon as the Execs get their break time back...

But we can only hope for the best. (And plan for the worst) :)

surface

Expert Member
I would first like to see him giving up some of his own benefits before he does something like that.
Imagine you are the one calling for austerity in your company since forever. You have been trying to fix issues where others have been purchasing luxurious cars and like. Would you be happy if your benefits are taken away because company your worked for did many wrongs? Not too long ago, mybroederband's favourite, Trevor manuel, purchased 1.2Million BMW 750 car whereas Gordhan spent under 1M for 2 of his cars - one each for Pretoria & Cape town. How long do we expect only him to give away benefits?

https://www.iol.co.za/news/politics/now-manuel-splurges-on-bmw-461283

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
So the loadshedding has stopped... Amazing? Not! Coincidence? Nope!
It was all political, just as we said.. the ANC likes to slap and taunt its subjects around Christmastime.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Imagine you are the one calling for austerity in your company since forever. You have been trying to fix issues where others have been purchasing luxurious cars and like. Would you be happy if your benefits are taken away because company your worked for did many wrongs? Not too long ago, mybroederband's favourite, Trevor manuel, purchased 1.2Million BMW 750 car whereas Gordhan spent under 1M for 2 of his cars - one each for Pretoria & Cape town. How long do we expect only him to give away benefits?

https://www.iol.co.za/news/politics/now-manuel-splurges-on-bmw-461283
I was just trying to make a point about why it is a bad idea that all execs lose their bonuses just because some of them were not doing their job.

flippakitten

Expert Member
Aaaaand just like that the loadshedding has stopped.
When I read this on Friday, I looked at my wife and said "watch, load shedding will magically disappear" and true as bob, the power came back on within 45 mins of this story breaking and hasn't gone off since.

flippakitten

Expert Member
I was just trying to make a point about why it is a bad idea that all execs lose their bonuses just because some of them were not doing their job.
They should all not be paid bonuses, heck, I would even say that the people responsible for this cluster F*** should be personally liable to all South African business that loses income due to load shedding.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Its not a case of them losing their bonuses, the bonuses should be contingent on fixing the problems they were brought in to fix.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
So if one person at a company doesn't do his/her job properly, and causes the company to lose a big contract, and nobody gets any bomuses as a result, what then?

I'm all for bonuses, but these should be earned (make a power station safer, pollute less, better maintenance so less breakdowns etc etc) and not freely received.

Because free bonuses makes people lazy - "why should I work when I get a bonus anyway?"

thechamp

Honorary Master
So if one person at a company doesn't do his/her job properly, and causes the company to lose a big contract, and nobody gets any bomuses as a result, what then?
Exactly what I was saying then, It is hard to separate the mess that Eskom is in from government, how do you now draw a line seperating it from government and putting all the blame on management? Isn't government also to blame, if it is collective responsibility it should be across the board, Gordhan should never be spared regardless if he was doing a good job, the whole collective failed.