Gordhan cancels Christmas break for Eskom execs

flippakitten

Expert Member
Exactly what I was saying then, It is hard to separate the mess that Eskom is in from government, how do you now draw a line seperating it from government and putting all the blame on management? Isn't government also to blame, if it is collective responsibility it should be across the board, Gordhan should never be spared regardless if he was doing a good job, the whole collective failed.
Fine, take away all leave and bonuses from the 60 odd ministers as well... While you're at it, throw some people in jail, recoup some money and give the people who receive grants a Christmas bonus, let us South Africans have break for a change.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Fine, take away all leave and bonuses from the 60 odd ministers as well... While you're at it, throw some people in jail, recoup some money and give the people who receive grants a Christmas bonus, let us South Africans have break for a change.
It's only fair, you don't stand by and watch as Eskom is captured then come back and point fingers at the executives and blame them for everything.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
It's only fair, you don't stand by and watch as Eskom is captured then come back and point fingers at the executives and blame them for everything.
Like I said early, you are looking at this from the wrong angle...

The executives that are currently there should have KPIs in place that mean they will only see bonuses (and significant ones at that) once they have fixed the problems plaguing Eskom... they arent losing bonuses, but theyve been brought on to do a job and currently the job is unfinished so no bonuses.

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
Its funny - initially the report was that he'd discussed with them them about cancelling their leave.
The he'd requested them to cancel their leave.
then he told them to cancel their leave.
Now he's cancelled their leave.

Someone didn't see the gravity of the situation.

thechamp

Honorary Master

The executives that are currently there should have KPIs in place that mean they will only see bonuses (and significant ones at that) once they have fixed the problems plaguing Eskom... they arent losing bonuses, but theyve been brought on to do a job and currently the job is unfinished so no bonuses.
I understand what you are saying perfectly, I don't have any isssue if they were to lose their bonuses due to them not meeting their KPIs, or in any way as as stipulated in their contracts, it was never the original statement that started this whole argument, I support that suggestion a 100%.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I understand what you are saying perfectly, I don't have any isssue if they were to lose their bonuses due to them not meeting their KPIs, or in any way as as stipulated in their contracts, it was never the original statement that started this whole argument, I support that suggestion a 100%.
Fair enough...

But any execs that are hangovers from the previous lot definitely SHOULD lose any bonuses for the foreseeable future in my opinion.

Tander

Executive Member
I spoke to someone who works for Eskom fairly high up, and they confirmed for me that there is a purging process going on inside Eskom and interviews and lifestyle audits are being conducted. Corrupt officials are being dismissed within a week. It was very good news to me.
Why would this not be in the news?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Why would this not be in the news?
I'm guessing a fair chunk of it is being done in a quasi-legal fashion.. so the less news the less chance that the people will try their luck with labour court and stuff...
Also might be mid-management so a whole lot of nobodies that the news doesn't care about.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
I spoke to someone who works for Eskom fairly high up, and they confirmed for me that there is a purging process going on inside Eskom and interviews and lifestyle audits are being conducted. Corrupt officials are being dismissed within a week. It was very good news to me.
So they are feeding Eskom a super hot curry mixed with Brooklax and seeing what comes out the other side.

Gaz{M}

Expert Member
So who is paying for all the missed holiday accommodations, flights, overseas trips etc.? Or is that covered by tax payers again?

Executives are paid to do a job. I can see no justification for paying a bonus as well.

neoprema

Expert Member
Their Christmas is cancelled. They've moved their private jet reservations and private-island holidays up by a few months (at our cost of course, its a company expense..)

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
For the moment. I wouldn't rejoice just yet though...
Knowing how these plants work... if they told the truth i.e. generators were out of action due to breakdowns, then we would still be loadshed today. You don't suddenly fix something like that within 24 hours. I am sorry it is just too coincident with Pravin Gordhan's cancellation of their leave.
This is why many of us believe that this entire business is about forcing the public's hand for a tarriff increase.